Thread: Automatic dust collection start up?

Automatic dust collection start up?

I recently bought a device to start my small dust collector when my chop saw is turned on. This will prevent those occasions when I would make a cut or two without turning on dust collection. Both pieces of equipment are 110 volts. My question is, can something like that be set up if the voltage does not match? I have several 220 and 110 volt machines. I have one 220 volt collector and a couple shop vacs. My intention is to use the 220 collector for the heavy chip producers, and the vacs with the other machines. That being said, I will have all different combinations of voltages.

There are a couple of products out there that will let you wirelessly and automatically link a mix match of 220V and 110V power tools with your 220V or 110V dust collector. Most notably these days I think is the iVac line of products (LINK). But personally I believe it is far easier and cheaper to just get a wireless remote control setup for your dust collector and either multiple remotes at each tool or just carry the one around with you.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I'm working on a current sensing setup to automatically turn on my DC when there is current flow sensed in certain circuits.. Still sorting out details..

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    There are a couple of products out there that will let you wirelessly and automatically link a mix match of 220V and 110V power tools with your 220V or 110V dust collector. Most notably these days I think is the iVac line of products (LINK). But personally I believe it is far easier and cheaper to just get a wireless remote control setup for your dust collector and either multiple remotes at each tool or just carry the one around with you.
    I agree I purchased something like this for my dust collector. It works great for $10 and you can just throw the remote in your pocket so that you can start it whenever you want to make a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    I agree I purchased something like this for my dust collector. It works great for $10 and you can just throw the remote in your pocket so that you can start it whenever you want to make a cut.
    Awesome solution if your dust collector is 110V, but I havent seen anything that cheap for 220V dust collectors.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Awesome solution if your dust collector is 110V, but I havent seen anything that cheap for 220V dust collectors.
    You can power your 220v dust collector with a magnetic contactor with a 110v coil and control the contactor coil with the 110v device.

7. Many 220v motors have dual windings and can be converted to 110v. I had to do this with a 220v, 1hp dust collector I bought at an auction as my shop only had 110v in it at the time. The down side is that making the conversion will double the amp pull but it will also make all your equipment run on 110v.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    You can power your 220v dust collector with a magnetic contactor with a 110v coil and control the contactor coil with the 110v device.
    +1 Yup, been using that and a cheap Xmas light remote control for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Wright View Post
    +1 Yup, been using that and a cheap Xmas light remote control for years!

But you don't want to be turning your DC on and off frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    But you don't want to be turning your DC on and off frequently.
    Single phase motors have a large startup current and most are only rated for a max of 6 starts per hour.

I added a mounting point on each of my machines to clip my DC remote to. I did toy with the idea of adding relays to turn on the DC automatically but decided that there were going to be times when I don't want it running. Clipping on the remote to whichever machine I'm running works well for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    I'm working on a current sensing setup to automatically turn on my DC when there is current flow sensed in certain circuits.. Still sorting out details..
    I built mine based on an article in FWW, Aug 2000. Only change was to add a delay on break timer so system would clear pipes before shutting down. Everything is located in electric panel box. Turn on tool, DC turns on, turn tool off, and ten seconds later DC shuts down. I use multi-wire branch circuits in my shop. At each location, I have two 120 recpts, along with a 220 recpt., all 20 amp. The wire feeding left rect. passes thru current sensor. It also feeds 220 recpt. This means either left recpt. or 220 recpt. activates DC.