Thread: My Garage Sale finds this weekend

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

My Garage Sale finds this weekend

Well, I got lucky yesterday- mostly Machinists tools, but useful for woodworking as well.

First is a mixed bag:
    Highlights: Stanley #4, type 8 or 9, a large lignum mallet, a few bolstered, cast steel chisels, a Mound six piece babbet scraper set, Imperial Eastman tubing cutting / flaring kit, and assorted other odds and sods.

More on the next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next: The Starrett group.
    Features: #85 divider with a pile of accessories, a 6" Mercury filled plumb bob, a near new #257C surface gauge in box, a smaller surface gauge, several dividers, 4 trammels, a smaller, fine adjustment trammel, a machinist level, 2-12" inside micrometer set, etc.

Lastly the Snap-On group: Three open end BS ( Whitworth ?) wrenches, 1/2" drive ratchet with a cracked head ( but they have lifetime warranty) specialty pliers, a couple sockets, a stud removal tool, etc. Also got 15bf of 6/4 Jatoba, a chunk of Paduak, and a few odds and sods of cut offs etc.. The fellow selling it was in our WW Guild, and had a 1250 square foot Coach House converted to a Shop. His Dad was a Machinist and he wanted most of the stuff to go to Guild members, so we had first crack.
    He has to down size to 350 square feet, so he took what he wanted and was very reasonable with the rest.
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 04-23-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Nice haul!!! I had a lignum mallet like that until it rolled off the bench. Hit the floor at just the right angle and snapped the handle off.

Dave:
    Every once in a while you get lucky.
    From what I have seen here and elsewhere, you are a master!
    Here on the West Coast, there are not many real bonanzas. But, there is much opportunity with what I got in this haul. Also, my name is Dave, and I have a tool ( and wood ) problem.
    Dave B

Blog Entries
    Nice haul indeed.

a couple sockets
    The one big socket is an odd duck. You don't see too many eight point sockets.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice Haul indeed!

Lemme know when you GETR AROUND to using that babbit scraping set!! I think all of us machinist types have an old set of those. But no one uses babbit any more!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Lemme know when you GETR AROUND to using that babbit scraping set!! I think all of us machinist types have an old set of those. But no one uses babbit any more!!
    I agree George - I have been a HVAC guy for 37 years now, and way back we scraped a small block on an old slow speed fan.

I suppose there are still guys out there that do it, but he basically gave it to me, so what the heck.

Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Nice haul indeed.

The one big socket is an odd duck. You don't see too many eight point sockets.

jtk
    Jim:

There are actually four sequential eight point sockets - only one was Snap-On.

I use them for opening and closing service valves on Refrigeration compressors in my trade, but not the large size of these four.

Dave B

Blog Entries
    I have seen square nuts & bolts on some old cast iron equipment. You never know when something like that will come your way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)