Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy rebuild kit

Where to buy rebuild kit

i've got a porter cable framer thats blowing air and needs to be rebuilt.
    does anyone know of a trustworthy place they have done business with, that
    i can get a rebuild kit? i google it and get a plethora of options.
    thanks
    rich

Where are you? Might be someplace local.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Sounds like a Firing Valve Seal. I've been using Senco nailers for over 40 years, and have had a number of the FVS's go bad, but never needed to replace a single O-ring. There is a guy on ebay that makes and sells just the firing valve seals, although not sure about PC nailers. The Firing Valve Seal is a big, compared to an O-ring, white plastic round piece. Typically, the old one has a split in it, and you can take it right off. The firing valve seal is heated with a heat gun, and stretched over the keeper on the assembly above the piston. It's a simple fit. Do a search on ebay for the model number of gun you have, and Firing Valve Seal.

edited to add: I just checked ebay, and that seal is called several different things by different manufacturers, but it's the larger white plastic seal.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-24-2016 at 3:19 PM.

unfortunately, i'm no place close to anything; about 90 mins from birmingham,AL, 55 mins from chattanooga and 55 mins from huntsville.

My P-C FR350A framing nailer locked up last December. I bought the replacement parts from ToolPartsPro.com. The repair was simple, once I managed to get the head bolts loose (that ended up involving ice and a propane torch).

Holy Cr*p! are you serious?? a propane torch???

There is no rebuild kit that I know of. They are easy to fix. Take the head off and see what's broken.
    I would replace all the o rings while you're at it.

Get the parts from either of the sites mentioned above.
    I recommend download the parts diagram and refer to it BEFORE you take it apart.

BTW most problems like this result from lack of lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by richard b miller View Post
    Holy Cr*p! are you serious?? a propane torch???
    Yep. I twisted a couple of hex wrenches into pretzels, then tried an impact driver but was afraid of stripping the head. I put penetrating oil on them and let it sit for days with no results. I searched online for a solution and some suggested heating the bolt heads, then dripping cold water on or touching an ice cube to them (expansion/contraction). I figured 'why not?' and gave it a try - the bolts came out.

They probably used loctite when they assembled it. Sometimes it takes some heat to release the bond.

Before trying heat+cold I had heated the bolts with the torch repeatedly. Maybe it was just coincidence it worked with the hot/cold treatment.

Look for a flooring place that sells nailer and staplers. I had one of the duafast staplers,that was blowing air. Dropped it off came back the next week. Paid all of $13. Asked the tech why the cheap price. He told me he just stocks the parts, no rebuild kits. Keeps the cost down for the pros. They then keep coming back for all their other supplies. Dan

13. interesting thread, I also have the same question

I looked at some youtube videos out of curiosity. The PC guns are fairly different than the Senco guns I've used since 1974. I'm still using the first ones I bought back then, but the numbers have grown since then. I've never replaced anything but the pieces that need replacing, and all those 42 year old guns are still running almost all the same O-rings, so I see no sense in replacing them. It's almost always the seals in the firing valve when the gun just blows air.

Skip to 5:15 in this video. It's different than the firing valve in my Senco guns, but I'd bet money this is where the problem is from the listed symptom. I'd only take the top off the head, replace the O-rings on the firing valve, check that white piece out carefully, put it back together, and try it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiZwRoofdI Why spend a half hour replacing stuff that doesn't need replacing when a few minutes will most likely get it back to work?

The bumper doesn't need to be replaced unless the gun doesn't cycle completely for the next nail. In other words, you have to pull the trigger twice to fire the next nail. I've replaced exactly one of those in 42 years. It bounces the piston back up.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-29-2016 at 8:38 AM.

finally tore the gun apart (my top screws came out pretty easy) and found it to be the collar-pu. just ordered from ereplacementparts.
    will keep you all posted.
    thanks
    rich