Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jointer planes-size, chip breaker or not?

I usually go by the 1.5-2x length rule as well. Longer stuff I'll use my #8, shorter things I'll use my #6. Really short things I'll use my LV bevel up smoother or a block plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Short answer, no [using a 5-1/2 for boards up to 24 or 36"], it will not be satisfactory.
    The critical figure of merit here is the ratio of the workpiece length to the plane length. Claiming that a 5-1/2 (15" long) can't adequately joint a 24" board is equivalent to claiming that a #7 can't adequately joint a 35" workpiece, and I think we all know that's bunk.

Mike, for a 36" piece you'd ideally want a slightly longer plane but it will work if your technique is good. It's equivalent to using a #7 on a 53" workpiece, which isn't uncommon. At 24" the 5-1/2 is perfect.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-26-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I think a #7ish plane is a good investment if you have the forearms for it, because it does more of the guesswork for you.
    If you're using your forearms to drive your #7 then you're making life needlessly hard for yourself :-)

After a few hours of using them bigger planes,,,sore forearms are the least of the problem.....shoulders.....the area of the back between the shoulders......neck gets stiff.....things like that. Good thing the biggest of the jointers is a bit lighter in weight..
    IMAG0112.jpg
    Stanley No. 31....24" long. weighs about half of a Stanley #8c did. Yeah, yeah, it only has a 2-3/8" wide iron.....didn't really need the extra 2/8" in width, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    After a few hours of using them bigger planes,,,sore forearms are the least of the problem.....shoulders.....the area of the back between the shoulders......neck gets stiff.....things like that. Good thing the biggest of the jointers is a bit lighter in weight..
    IMAG0112.jpg
    Stanley No. 31....24" long. weighs about half of a Stanley #8c did. Yeah, yeah, it only has a 2-3/8" wide iron.....didn't really need the extra 2/8" in width, anyway.
    Burn baby, burn (see also the para and picture just before the #21 section).

Well, I have the #26, the # 28, #29, and the #31......there is also an 035 in the till. No complaints with them, at all.

IMAG0112.jpg
    That plane is practically as long as the board you are jointing. That in itself makes for too much work. You are expending too much effort to hold that thing level for the amount of work you are getting accomplished. In fact, I wonder if you can actually get the edge straight with a plane that long. Thank your stars and neck / back that its a transistional
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 04-26-2016 at 6:39 PM.

That board was 36" long, the plane is 24". I wrap the front hand around the body of the plane, using the knuckles as a fence. Board was part of a five board glue up
    IMAG0104.jpg
    Seemed to work out fairly well.....

That board was 36" long, the plane is 24". I wrap the front hand around the body of the plane, using the knuckles as a fence. Board was part of a five board glue up
    IMAG0104.jpg
    Seemed to work out fairly well.....
    It did turn out nice! The picture was very deceptive

For many years all I had was a LV bevel-up jointer and a Stanley no.4. I've added bevel down planes of all sizes to those. The more I use the bevel down - comparing with bevel-up - the more I like them. I'm hardly using my LV BU plane at this stage.
    Because I like to sharpen free hand, the use of a BU plane isn't great because, for all those high angles, I have to go back to a guide. It also seems to me that the surface finish of a BD is nicer than a BU with a high angle.
    As for the length, if my plane is 1/3 of board length, I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    That plane is practically as long as the board you are jointing. That in itself makes for too much work. You are expending too much effort to hold that thing level for the amount of work you are getting accomplished. In fact, I wonder if you can actually get the edge straight with a plane that long. Thank your stars and neck / back that its a transistional
    A cooper's jointer is usually far longer than that thing.

Blog Entries
    My 607 Bedrock works just fine on a shooting board. I don't feel the need for another plane. It also does great with the board in a vise.

Well, I have the #26, the # 28, #29, and the #31......there is also an 035 in the till. No complaints with them, at all.
    The Schwartz is with you.

Seriously, those are amazingly polarizing planes. I haven't used one to any great extent, so I have no actual opinion of them either way. Leach's writeup cracks me up though.

Blog Entries
    My challenge at the moment is making tapered/staked chair/table legs usually from oak. I do not have a lathe and do not plan to buy one any time soon as I may be moving. This work can be very time consuming.

The challenge is more like making a bench top from glued up hard wood boards than making a single edge flat & 90 degrees to the surface of a board. It requires many strokes to make four or more octagonal chair or table legs from rough wood or splits. I started out using a #5 with a cambered blade to do the heavy stock removal. I have been experimenting with # 5 1/4, #5, #5 1/2, #6 & BU Jointer. I am thinking either the 5 1/4 or 5 to make a taper square, the heavy stock removal. Once I get the heavy work done I am thinking about a 5 1/2 or 6 to work the square into a reasonably equal sided octagon. A full size metal jointer gets heavy fairly quickly. I may work on my Purple Heart jointer so I will have something lighter. I am not going to get too concerned with the legs being exactly the same and even so I may or may not finish with a smooth plane.

I strongly believe that for most furniture work a #4 and a #7 are fine for all jointing tasks. The #5 would be nice too, but in my case it is setup as a jack plane with strongly cambered blade.

The #4 for all small stuff, up to twice the length of the plane. The rest with the #7. Only for really large stuff like entry doors, large dining tables etc, the long woodies come in nicely. They are usually dirt cheap and are easilly trued up, so no reason really not to find one. Those long transitionals look usefull for this task too.