Thread: Going down the rabbit hole for fun. Getting a cheap china laser

Going down the rabbit hole for fun. Getting a cheap china laser

So you have seen those cheap ultra china lasers on ebay (sub $400). I purchased one 4 years ago. I was modifying it, and seeing what I could get out of it. Well looks like the new versions are a a bit different. Perhaps a bit better.

So I'm going to see what has changed. I have no illusions as it will be a pure hobby project again. After mucking around with the last one I purchased I was
    successful, and it made for a fun toy. Non techie / non diy people probably end up using these as door stops mostly.

I have a decent china laser as well. A Redsail which has served me very well for the last 3 years, and it has more than paid for itself.

It will be interesting to me to see if any improvements have been made.
    Last edited by Clark Pace; 04-25-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Before I did that I would consider one of those low cost diode based laser/engraving "kits" selling on eBay for less than $400. I think most of them are rated at 3 or 4 watts. Most of my "free" time is already spoken for....
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-25-2016 at 3:28 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Is this info that needs to be shared with your home insurance policy holder??
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Before I did that I would consider one of those low cost diode based laser/engraving "kits" selling on eBay for less than $400. I think most of them are rated at 3 or 4 watts. Most of my "free" time is already spoken for....

I have look at those also. They look interesting.

what would be a comparison of a 4 or 5 watt diode to a co2 laser
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    What specifically are you looking at Clark? Am curious to look it up in order to follow your adventure better!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    What specifically are you looking at Clark? Am curious to look it up in order to follow your adventure better!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Precise...UAAOSw2s1U0J02

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-65cm-area...3D200902245694

Not really sure what you can do with a 3 Watt diode laser? The only problem with the cheap machines, the basics such as power supply and stepper motors are there and work, its the $rappy software and controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The only problem with the cheap machines, the basics such as power supply and stepper motors are there and work, its the $rappy software and controller.
    Not to mention that the tubes don't last very long. The low price of these machines are quite tempting. It will take a few more hundred to upgrade them to usable condition. There are many resources out there on upgrading these machines. They aren't bad, one just needs to understand what one is getting.

It's like the the $999 written on the used car windshields. You aren't likely to get what you expect for that.
    MakerGear M2, G0704 CNC, Sherline 4400 (won at NAMES)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalmar View Post
    Not to mention that the tubes don't last very long. The low price of these machines are quite tempting. It will take a few more hundred to upgrade them to usable condition. There are many resources out there on upgrading these machines. They aren't bad, one just needs to understand what one is getting.

It's like the the $999 written on the used car windshields. You aren't likely to get what you expect for that.
    I think I mentioned that I already owned one of these before. So I have an idea what I'm getting into. Though I think the newer software and USB control are two improvements.

Sounds like a plan then. Better to go in with eyes open. I've been tempted to pick one myself. Hard to believe they are so cheap, even if they do have the worst components. I've seen people have great luck with them however. Have fun and keep us apprised.
    MakerGear M2, G0704 CNC, Sherline 4400 (won at NAMES)

I think Clark knows what he is doing. I was going to go that route at one time until I figured up the costs. Prices are coming down.

13. There are several communities out there based on the K40 series machines. Some pretty good controller and software hacks. I didn't get one but from what I gather the newer versions are better particularly in terms of controllers. Software still not so much but between places like Open Builds and the K40 groups there are several options.