Thread: You Gotta Love Hot Hide Glue

You Gotta Love Hot Hide Glue

I'm working on the inside of the tool box. I needed a break from moving that sucker around. With making the partitions and trays there is no lifting and grunting, just some butt scratching trying to figure out where everything goes and how big it needs to be. The good news is once the lower tray runners are installed right or wrong it is pretty much a done deal except for deciding on one more or two more trays.

For installing runners and dividers inside a box there ain't nothing better than hot hide glue because it is almost impossible to set clamps. With hot hide glue you can just do a "rub joint". As you should be able to see in the photo, the lower runners are setting on a spacer as I wait for the glue to cure.

Once the glue cures I'll decide on one or two more trays. I'm leaning towards two more but....I need to see how much space is left after the the lower tray is completed.

The saw till is on the left side of the photo (will be the front of the tool box) and it has 4 slots for saws. I figure two hand saws, one X-cut and one rip and two back saws both carcass. space on the right is for the molding planes and H&R's. Center area is for the bench planes and maybe a joinery plane or two.

I expect there will be room for a chisel till on the front wall over the plane till and maybe on on the back wall as well, it will depend on how wide I make the trays.

No matter how big you make it, and this box is too big, you run out of room before you run out of tools.

It will not be long before I start the bench and I expect a smaller tool box.

ken

One more reason to love hot hide glue. When I went to put the bottom of the first tray in the box, the top runners were a silly mm too wide. What to do, what to do? After running through all the options the best and easiest was to dig out the heat gun and a wet rag to undo the glue up. No harm no foul, cut about 6mm off the runner and re-glued 'em. Anyway, I'm stopping at two trays, both about 250mm deep. Tomorrow I will finish the trays and start the lid.

ken

Ken,
    Looks good! No pictures of the butt-scratching?
    Seriously, I love hide glue too. What is your heating implement of choice?
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Hmm...your picture seems to have disappeared. This appears in its place:

Steve,

It ain't a pretty sight, the butt scratching, but there was plenty done today. When I started the build I sized the width to hold my longest hand saw, depth just a cabinet makers wag and height "well that's about right". Today I had to figure out how to use the resulting space, not that it is a big deal. Any major screwup is reversible as was the upper drawer runner but it sure is easier to get it correct the first time.

I use the TFWW glue pot. I've had it several years and works well. My only complaint is it does not have an on/off switch. It took some looking (Home Depot dropped theirs, I found an empty box on the shelf) but I found a switched outlet on Amazon and it has worked well, I just have to remember to turn it off at the end of the day.

ken