Thread: Big storage cabinet ideas needed

Big storage cabinet ideas needed

Howdy all,

I was thinking of installing a wall of big storage cabinets. 8' high with doors, around 20' long and 22-24" deep. Should I build the case with dividers and add face frames in 8' sections? Any info would be appreciated.

This for storage in the shop? Or actually true cabinets in the house?

8' high with doors seems intense for in the house. Built-ins seem to be more popular if you want an entire wall of storage inside.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    Built-ins seem to be more popular.....
    More popular than what? Isn't built-in cabinets what the OP is asking about?

When I do a long run, I like to build individual boxes with face frames that overlap -- one box has a "missing stile" and the next box has a stile that laps over the previous box.
    Last edited by Jerry Miner; 04-25-2016 at 9:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    More popular than what? Isn't built-in cabinets what the OP is asking about?

When I do a long run, I like to build individual boxes with face frames that overlap -- one box has a "missing stile" and the next box has a stile that laps over the previous box.
    Maybe I'm using the wrong word. Not an interior designer by any means.

But in all the remodel shows they refer to open faced shelves as built-ins. I guess logically that also would include full built in cabinets.

Decorative open storage shelves I guess? LOL

Edit: Google "living room built ins" and look at the images. That is what I was referring to. Some have cabinets. But they are definitely not cabinets.
    Last edited by Keith Downing; 04-26-2016 at 2:30 AM.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I guess it is just semantics (or nomenclature). To me, a "built-in" refers to a piece that COULD be built as a free-standing piece of furniture (like a bookcase, a hutch, a credenza, ...) but is "built-in" to the building, generally filling a specific space --- often, but not always floor-to-ceiling and/or wall-to-wall--- and attached to the structure.

Whether it is composed of open shelving or has doors and/or drawers is not what makes it a "built-in' -- what makes it a "built-in" is the fact that it is made to fit the specific space in the structure (house or...) and is attached to it.

I think built-in cabinetry is what we're talking about here.

To the OP's original question: One other option is the "European" method in which there is no face frame, just boxes with overlay doors and "fillers" where the cabinets meet walls and ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Howdy all,

I was thinking of installing a wall of big storage cabinets. 8' high with doors, around 20' long and 22-24" deep. Should I build the case with dividers and add face frames in 8' sections? Any info would be appreciated.
    HOLY MOLY..... My relatives in Texas keep saying that everything in Texas is bigger, but 20' long? Will that be one door or two?

First, do you want face frames or not?

You could make "modular boxes" that simply slapped together, or, if you build them in place, you can build your face frames in place.

This also means, for example, that you only need a single board to separate "two boxes".

As for the size of each section, that depends on....

1. How wide to you want them to?
    2. How wide CAN they be?

If your sections are 8' wide, with two doors, that makes each door 4' wide. If you have shelves, then they are 8' long, which is kind of a problem depending on how they are supported.

Thanks for the replies. My one finger typing leaves lots of info out. They will most likely be face framed, continuous 4' sections. I know how to do that. I was maybe hoping someone had other ideas.

the only thing I'm sure of is they won't be unformed boxes with doors.

An 8' high box.... I assume that you probably want a "fixed" shelf in roughly the middle that will lend support to the boxes. It is possible that if everything is interconnected that it will remain stable. For sure the face frame will add stability. Also, if the back is adhered to the wall, that will again add stability.

I would use adjustable shelves when possible.

So, yes, I think that I would build these with dividers and then split things up using face frames. I would set the dividers based on how much support is needed by the shelves. How do you intend to mount the shelves into the cabinets? Will you use the traditional shelf supports with pins? Will you use something that mounts in the back (shelf brackets) that extends out?

Do a google search on

woodsmith shop slatwall storage system

This might be of interest, but probably not directly related to the cabinets.

I have seen large cabinets that had wheels. They were not attached to the walls, but you could roll them around if needed.

Finally, about those doors. Will set it so that you can hang things or store things on the inside of the doors?

If it were me, I would build cases not a case.
    I'd build them individually, and face frame them individually. Lastly, I'd screw them all together. Doing it this way means you'll spend more $$ on the plywood (because each divider will be doubled up). However, this will enable you to use pocket screws on the respective non-show faces to connect the frames. It will greatly simplify your construction.

Building a single large case with a single face frame will allow nice skinny dividers, but poses challenges for construction and installation.

I would not make 8' sections; I would make them in < 36" sections - arguably 24" or less. Varying the widths and even the depths of the cabinets can add visual interest and can avoid having to butt two faceframes up to each other. However, that means you will need 2 "A" sides on your veneered plywood.

Use maple ply for the cabinet interiors. It will be easier to see inside.

Prefinish the cabinets once the big sheets are cut, prior to assembly.

Last, if you are only doing this for cost, then you can consider mail ordering Ready-to-Assemble cabinets from a company like BarkerDoor. I did that, and you can save yourself a lot of work. You can purchase these finished or unfinished. Beware, tho, these are "Eurostyle" cabinets which means they have no face frame, and use edgebanding on the plywood cases.