Thread: Aprons on sides (ends) of Nicholson-style bench?

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America

Question Aprons on sides (ends) of Nicholson-style bench?

I use a Nicholson-style bench (my first anything, built from Mike Siemsen's video instructions). I have no vises. I find I often want to hold boards so I can saw parallel to the broad faces. I couldn't come up with a good way to do this other than clamping them to the front apron near one end of the bench and standing to the side so the saw blade was parallel the the front apron. I worked in a small room; with a 6' bench this was barely possible. So I added an apron (with holdfast holes) on the right-hand end of the bench (I'm right-handed) — the apron in effect wraps around the end from the front to the back — and now I fix the boards to the end apron, stand in front of the bench, and saw away.

All the while I kept in mind Rule #4 from Chris Schwarz' excellent book on workbenches: "If your bench appears to be a new design or looks unlike anything built before, chances are your design is flawed."

I fully accept that (and am more interested than bench design than in rules about bench design), but ... what is the flaw? Why don't Nicholson-style benches have wrap-around aprons (afaik)? How are boards held for sawing parallel to the planes of the broad faces on benches that don't have a vise?

Thanks.

—Kirby.

Isn't this equivalent to using an end vice?

The flaw could be that front of the bench usually have more support for the piece. Like legs flush with the top, walking deadman and such. While on the side ends there is an overhang of the top that sticks away from the legs.

I myself had thought about this quite a lot and my bench has 6" aprons all around and all four sides are flush with the legs and stretchers:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...96#post2556496
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...11#post2557711

I think it also depends on where you have space around your bench. Like is it placed near the wall. Otherwise, I would say you just use side end as you would use front side, and thus no flaw!

Now it is interesting to see if anybody has another view...

Blog Entries
    I fully accept that (and am more interested than bench design than in rules about bench design), but ... what is the flaw? Why don't Nicholson-style benches have wrap-around aprons (afaik)? How are boards held for sawing parallel to the planes of the broad faces on benches that don't have a vise?
    In the opinion of those who must see flaws, your flaw is not having a vise or maybe it is not having enough room to stand beyond the end of your bench to rip a board as you describe.

Don't worry about their opinions if what you have is working for you.

Many innovations have come to Mankind because something wasn't working in a particular situation.

Roy Underhill had an episode on "Viceless Devices." http://video.pbs.org/video/2365309201/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)