Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a Living Woodworking

Making a Living Woodworking

Is it possible to make a living woodworking out of my garage making small projects and selling them at flea markets or other places?

I have a bandsaw, router table, planer, miter saw, table saw, spindle sander, drill press and an assortment of hand tools.

I am tired or working for electrical contractors and would like to go into a new direction.

I'm not a woodworker, but do have lots of owners who are (or were) in your position. My answer to your question would be "unlikely". I do have a number of garage/home-shop customers who successfully make and sell furniture, but as a side job, not the primary income source. The few who I do have, who do it full time out of their garages, are either retired and have of pension for steady income or have a spouse that still works full-time. The fine furniture market is fickle and the flea market/mom-n-pop crafts vendors probably have it worse. This is not to discourage you, just an observation from the guy who sells the equipment you would use to do something like this with. If you enjoy it and enjoy selling ww'ing projects, then maybe you should still do it it but as far making a living, that would probably be very challenging. I'm sure others will chime in here. Best of luck with your journey.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

People have done a lot with less. Tough row to hoe though. If you're smart, lucky, and hard working you can do just about anything.

I started my cabinet shop with a tablesaw, planer, jointer, and a chop box. I'm not sure I could do it again knowing what I know now.

If you enjoy very long hours and are OK with spending a lot of time on the road promoting your products, are a superb salesman, are a decent accountant-- or at least know how to track money in a non-self-deluding manner, and can work efficiently (perfectionists need not apply), and have a couple of ideas for products that will let you create a niche market for yourself, then sure, it's possible. It's worth trying in any event, as long as you don't allow yourself to run up a mountain of credit card debt that will take years to get out from under. I'd think about trying it while still retaining a day job for a while. Make a small stock of product and do flea markets and shows every weekend for six months to get a feel for what the life is like and what the market for what you are making is like. Also look around a lot at what others are doing and selling-- and keep in mind that most of them will not tell you the truth about how well/badly they are doing. Spend some time watching a booth to see how many customers actually buy something and what they buy.

+1 roger.

Also be prepared for likely monotonous work. I couldn't make cutting boards all day for instance.

My gut tells me it will be extremely hard, especially if you're supporting a family. Remember to track how many hours you worked to make X number of products and how many hours it took to sell X number. Tally it up to figure out your hourly rate - will likely be in the single digits.

I suppose you guys are right. It's probably not a good idea to make a job out of your hobby.

Agree with all of the comments so far. I would add that running your own business of any kind requires a totally different mindset and drive compared to working for someone else. Not everyone can do it and hats off to those that can. As far as making a job out of your hobby, really depends upon what you are making as to how much of a problem that would be.

A bigger question is what are you going to sell that makes people want to buy at a profit to you, will you sell enough of them and can it be copied easily? If you know the answer to those questions and have the passion/drive then I would at least try it on a part time basis, keeping your main job as a safety net

So far I have been able to make just enough to buy more tools. LOL
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bridge View Post
    I suppose you guys are right. It's probably not a good idea to make a job out of your hobby.
    I have found it rarely is. Many end up burning out and losing a love for/in something that once brought them enjoyment. When you turn something you used to do for fun into work, it literally takes the fun out of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I've never tried it, but here are some things to consider.

What market are you going to fill the need in? Is there a market for things that you can make? Without customers, your products don't sell and if you don't make what people want for the price they feel they want to pay you don't sell anything. Most advisers say you should have at least 2 years of your current income in reserve to make a start in a small business. While you are busy making things, you aren't making any sales, calling on potential customers or buying materials.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Great way to ruin a perfectly good hobby.

David

I've seen enough guys look like they're starving to death at flea markets and art festivals.

I've been studying on a business model for ww'ing after I retire.
    Furniture repair can be a foot in the door to commissioned furniture but its a very select and narrow clientele.
    Custom cabs through contractors and interior designers, but ver difficult to compete with commercial cab shops.
    Ultimate dream for me is building reproduction furniture.

That leaves you with selling art projects like carvings, boxes, plaques, etc.
    I don't believe you could make a living at it unless you can sell hundreds of units a month.

Don't quit your day job, in fact, be glad you have a job at all!
    Do you not like electrical work, or just don't like taking orders?
    If so, why not start your own electrical business?
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 04-26-2016 at 6:23 PM.

I went through a similar decision. I absolutely hated my job, and was ready to throw my career away to be a struggling woodworker.

I know what it's like to hate your job. I'm the type that takes it home with me emotionally, so I found it affected my overall happiness profoundly.

My dad gave me great advice at the time: Make an adjustment. Don't throw your career away- just try a different variation of it. Find a new employer. Find a new niche within your current field. Whatever. Try that first.

What great advice. I made an employer change, and have enjoyed my job well enough since then. Is it my first passion? No. But I don't wake up dreading going to work, I don't think about work over the weekend unless something big is going on, and I make enough money to not have financial stress. I've never been happier, and all it took was an adjustment, not a 180 degree change.

Good luck man!

The easiest way to make a small fortune in woodworking is to start with a large one. It helps if you know how to replace toilets. Even though a large percentage of my income comes from WW, the other stuff helps pay the bills. As an example, today I started draining pool at local Y using a siphon. Pays good, and isn't difficult to do. Tomorrow, I will be cleaning gutters and fixing leaking sink. Thursday, we will replace siding on a chimney.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bridge View Post
    Here's the answer. You gave up on the idea in a little over two hours because of what a few people said. I went off on my own and started selling pieces for good money (including a grandfather's clock for $7000 in 1990's) but had to give up on it because the logistics problems, not the lack of market. If you have a passion for this I would say you should try it. What is the worst that could happen, you aren't going to starve to death, are you?