Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better to wait or do what you can with inferior tools.

Lots of good advice above. Like many, I started with my Dad's cast off hand saw, some rusty chisels and a screwdriver, so I know what the OP is going through. My first purchased tool was my workbench (a Black and Decker Workmate), followed by one of the drills that you turned like a manual egg beater. About the only thing with any power to it was the shed light!! It was about another 15 years before I purchased an electric drill. Enjoyed finishing projects at the start as much as I enjoy them now, its just different. Don't let a lack of tools stop you from enjoying this fun hobby

Start making things, NOW.
    Remember what they said about Bear Bryant, " he'll beat you with his team. then turn around and beat you with your players!"
    The same applies to woodworking. A careful and clever woodworker with simple tools will build rings around a fool with a shop full of Felders and Festools...
    You don't need fancy tools to build beautiful and functional things.
    Design carefully, layout accurately, and you will be fine.
    Obviously, nice tools will be enjoyable to use, and can speed things up. However, "not having the ultimate" is in no way a hindrance.

Thirty years ago I made my first major project: a complete kitchen for our home (cabinets, trim, counter tops,
    tiling, etc).

I had a $200 Sears Craftsman Radial Arm Saw, a $30 router and a twenty year old electric drill by GE. It took me forever; I cursed a few times, but my wife loved it and it helped later to sell the house.

I have more tools now, and better tools than before and I still curse at times.

As others have said, buy what you can afford and begin to enjoy your hobby.

https://vimeo.com/23095780
    This guy never fails to inspire me. His work is quite minimalist, but he certainly maximizes with the tools "at hand".

Did someone mention it already? Can't remember, this thread is nearly as long as a book. The finest furniture ever built was done with no power tools, and not all that many hand tools. They didn't have modern steel either, nor sandpaper, nor glue in a bottle or finish in a can. Really simple works, just takes longer - and a lot of skill. That skill comes from practice more than the tools.

Design so that you can build with the tools you have. Practice, learn, and grow. The rest will come.

John

Lots of good advice has been offered. Just realize there is a minimum quality of tool needed to perform work. Going below that level of quality will only frustrate you.

Johnny M,

You beat me to it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Johnny10 hit the proverbial nail. In my early 20's I built a foldout bed for my VW van using only a Swiss Army Knife. I built a complete Bedroom Set commission with a Delta Contractor's Saw, Stanley Bullethead router, 3/8" Drill, 760 chisels and some inherited hand tools. "Just Do It"!!!!

Buy old tools. PLanes at yard sales,etc. Used power tools (bigger stuff )are built better and work just as well as new ones. Its fun to clean up,fix and rehab old tools to work on the projects you want to build. You also gain an intimate knowledge of how things work. This is how i have filled my shop up over the last 20 plus years. I think there are only two machines i bought new. About 7-8 used. Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    As a new woodworker and being on a tight budget I struggle with the following balance:

Would you wait until you can afford good tools even if it means not woodworking for a while?
    Or would you find a way to do the task at hand with say cheaper tools or other means even if they are more tedious/difficult?

It's not like I have to hurry or anything, I hate wasting time. Time is something no one can get back, once it's gone, it's gone.

Sometimes I get so frustrated not having the correct tool because well I can't afford it right now.

If I have down time away from the shop, I'm usually reading about woodworking and/or watching vids etc on woodworking.

Any advice?
    I would, if you have the interest, see what you can do about building tools so you are not working with inferior tools. I'm talking both electric as well as hand tools. Make a hand plane or two. The process should improve your skills, as would making your own machines. Shopnotes, Woodsmith and woodgears.ca are examples of a few places you can go to see examples of tool building. A few chaps have examples on this site too.

What kind of projects do you want to make? If you are looking at making furniture type pieces with dovetails, and mortises, then hand tools and some practice is the way to go. You will never regret building hand tool skills.

If you are thinking outdoor planters, benches, shelves, some cabinets, you can get by with a few power tools (corded drill, and a saw - think Kreg infomercial) and make a lot of cool stuff that isn't maybe "fine" woodworking but is still a lot of fun and rewarding.

In all cases used tools can be great. I've had good luck with refurbished tools too. Used HF stuff should be really cheap. Usually if I'm looking at used it is a quality tool to start with. Craigslist and auctions are your friend. I've gotten most of my light industrial tools for pennies on the dollar at auctions. If you buy something that is missing some parts factor that in as having to replace at retail when valuating. IE I bought my unisaw with only half of a unifence. I only paid $150 for it but I had to buy a new fence for it (and bearings and belts).

I've always done the buy a tool as you need it. If the cost of the tool is covered by the savings vs. having to pay someone else to make, then you are good. I think there are lots of us that justify tools that way. I started my woodworking with a brand new Makita circular saw and an old Craftsman vsr drill that I'm surprised I haven't killed yet (not for lack of trying). I built a picnic table that is still going strong 19 years later.

The punchline that everyone is telling you is get to building. Build your tools up as you go. You will appreciate fine tools that you may eventually have if you have used ones that aren't as refined to start with. Start building, it takes repetition and a will to improve to build skill.

It's easy for someone to tell you that has never had to struggle to pay the bills to say buy once and cry once. As many have already said use what you have and can afford now. Besides the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction it gives you it will help you to know what features you need and desire when you can upgrade. There are lot's of $100 tablesaws that will do just fine when properly tuned and a good blade installed. Some people some whom have never owned one will tell you to stay away from a Shopsmith but if you find a 510 or 520 model they are not bad machines. Yes they are a compromise but they teach you to pan your work well. So you have lot's of options and they don't require a $3000 plus table saw to start. Good luck and most importantly use safe practices, respect the tool, and use eye and ear protection.

Start with simple projects that you can make with just the tools that you have. Don't try to build anything that is way above your tool capability or your skill level. Keep searching for things to make that can be done or almost done with just those original tools and your skill comfort level. Finding a way to do that one thing that you never did before to complete the project will build your skill set and experience. There are many ways to do each step in woodworking. Usually, the faster and more precise methods require the expensive tools, but most woodworking can be done with just basic hand tools and a little ingenuity. Our forefathers created works of art using only very basic hand tools, and you can too after you gain some experience and skills. The more you do something, the better you will get at doing it. The time to start is now, with whatever you have to work with.

When you find that you need another tool, do significant research into what is available and choose the one that will best do what you need at a price that you can afford. Used tools can sometimes save money, but be certain that it works properly or you can easily fix it, before you buy it. Sometimes new is a better choice, but research what is available and then buy the best that you can afford. I still have most of my original hand tools and still use many of them frequently. Some were not made very well and have been replaced over the years, but most are still very functional.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 04-27-2016 at 8:25 AM.

It depends on your skill level. The better you are at wood working, the smaller the tool set you need to succeed. I bought expensive power tools because I don't have the skills needed to work effectively with hand tools - but if I had the skills I'd have stuck to a small collection of high quality hand tools.

Notice, in this context, that a good hand tool is usually only a few dollars more than a piece of junk - while a good table saw tends to be nearer a thousand more than a piece of junk. So my suggestion would be to buy a few, but high quality, hand tools and get to work.

BUILD!
    Take a class
    Join a local woodworking club
    BUILD!

Add to your profile where you are from, and folks will help identify resources to help you get started.

John