Thread: Delta 50-760 loose wire in switch housing

Delta 50-760 loose wire in switch housing

IMG_3266.JPG

Hi folks, I confess at the outset I'm a complete electrical idiot. I have a 10 year old Delta 50-760 dust collector (1.5 HP). It wouldn't turn on this morning so I opened up the switch housing. I noticed a loose red wire floating around. It looks like the black thingamajigger in my hand has a cracked housing at the top of it. The thingamajigger that is still in the housing has two red wires going into it, so I suspect the loose wire is supposed to go in the one in my hand-- but I didn't see a place for it to go.

Anyone have any ideas?

John
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

The black cylinder is a capacitor which is burned out. Read the numbers on the outside of it and get a new one.

Thanks much! Any suggestions on best store or type of store to get one? I'm in Dallas.
    Soli Deo Gloria.

I would just Google the capacitor part number and go from there. They are typically pretty common and easy to find.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks. I'm not at the shop right now, but ereplacement parts said there is a 'start' capacitor and a 'run' capacitor. Not sure which one is the broken one. But ereplacement parts said both capacitors are obsolete and unavailable. I'm guessing I can find one with similar specifications elsewhere?
    Soli Deo Gloria.

Yes. You can get them from McMaster Carr, grainger, fastenal, Amazon, etc.
    You should be able to figure out which is which by the wiring diagram. I'd guess it's the start cap since it won't start, but that's a mechanical engineer talking not an electrical one. But just look at what's printed on the cap and buy a new one, pop it back in.

John, that is a start capacitor for the motor. Look on the side of it and you should see something like 88 -108 mfd or uf. It could be something in the range of 160 - 190 mfd. That will be the microfarad rating of the capacitor. Also it will list a voltage rating. It could be 250 or 330 volts or some other voltage. Match those numbers. You do not need to worry about part numbers, just the ratings. You can find them at any of the places that Matt listed.