Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oops

Oops

Just glad I had that steady rest to that if I had a catch it wouldn't pry the bank loose.
    In this case I barely touched the rim with the tip of a v scraper.

On the end of the 10" chalice, the physics works against me.
    I have a whole lot of long work to do (23 more chalices 10" x 3.5") so I guess I build a new steady rest this week. This kind of thing is why I am researching all of the right systems for my next rig.

Kinda kicked the energy out of me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-26-2016 at 11:28 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Glad you were not hurt Brian. That would take the wind out of my sails too, and necessitate a change of shorts. Do you use tail stock support when you can?

Doug

Wow, glad you're OK.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow that looks like it might make your heart beat a little fast for a while. Glad you are OK after that!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Yes, I use the tail stock except when hollowing the cup. Usually I drill to depth before shaping. Not this time.

I think I'll switch to the small chalices and small and large plates for awhile, as I decide on materials for the next steady.

I have made quite a lot of these lately (this is the top of 4 bins full) and then blew 2 in a row. This one and the previous one where I was using a hollowing tool for the cup and tried to make the inside bigger than the outside. I think that it is good that I quit for the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-27-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Brian,

When you got the catch, what happened next? Was the fracture of your steady what lead to the cylinder being torn out of the chuck? Would a stronger steady have kept this from happening or would some other part of the lathe have been destroyed ?

Oops is right... Solid wood with the grains lined up makes for an easy split under much pressure... Been there, done that.... As part of a serendipitous mistake, I now end up turning scoops out of 2 pieces, the scoop and the handle. Turn a short tenon on the handle, and cover the joint with a bead. Might work on your chalice.

robo hippy

Glad you were not hurt! I agree with Reed - solid wood makes for a fairly weak steady when all the grain lines up. On your next steady - try using cabinet grade plywood - less chance of something like this ever happening.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Maybe making your steady rest from laminations of plywood would give it a bit more strength? It looks as though the impact fractured the oak frame along a grain line. Right? I, too, am glad you weren't hurt. I would stop for the night also.
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 04-27-2016 at 8:31 AM.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

For a 10" long spindle I would have made the tenon as large in diameter as possible, or used a faceplate and screws. There is so much leverage at that distance from the fixing that the holding power from such a small tenon is easily defeated.

Glad you weren't hurt and totally get how you felt afterwards. I am still having a hard time getting completely back to the lathe after shattering my finger. Good thing is that you're on your own time and can decide when and how to move forward.

Autopsy of a broken steady rest.

Nova G3 chuck with 50mm jaws. [I could buy larger jaws or go back to using faceplace and screws.]

Tenon was just slightly larger than inside of jaws for maximum contact. This chuck and jaws are rated by Nova for a 2" spigot.

Turning blank was 10-3/4” x 3.5 inches. Client ordered 10” tall chalices.
    [I have been successful at these dimensions 30+ times, but I am always working the limits.]

Steady rest materials:
    Made from a piece of a laminated desktop. An oak veneer covers blocks of hardwood. Total thickness = 1.25” [Would ¾” Baltic Birch be adequate?]

The channels for the arms are 1/2” deep. They probably could be shallower or I could use aluminum T-racks.

The breaks came in the grain of the inner wood blocks, at the cut-outs for the arms on the left and top of the work-piece. The blocks of wood acted as if they were solid piece of wood, allowing the split on the grain. Where it split there was only one layer of surface laminate on the back of the steady.

Technique problems:

Turning Speed 1720 RPM. [probably way too fast]

I was using the sharp tip of a V scraper, which had been good for control in the past.

The tool point was just above center-line to hollow the cup, but I made the mistake of touching the outside of the cup with the tip of the tool as I was trying to get a clean rim.
    The gouge in the wood from the catch was just 1/16” deep (6/100”) in the maple blank.

Brian, when I made my steady rest I ordered an angle ring from McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=125yf0a
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Brian - what is a "V-scraper"? I've heard of other types of scrapers but not V.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    Brian, when I made my steady rest I ordered an angle ring from McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=125yf0a
    I have no welding resources. Did you make one using bolt-holes? If so, could you show a picture or a plan?