Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oops

For a variety of reasons this is smoother and more secure than the last one. I was able to turn a 3" x 3" cup on a 10.5" piece without a problem. And it looks much smoother that when I make then by drilling out first.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Is this the scraper you were talking about?

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...+point+scraper

I turned mine into a negative rake scraper...

robo hippy

Yes, only much cheaper: 3rd from the left: http://www.harborfreight.com/Profess...-Pc-61794.html

Something to consider on the next steady.

Brian, the new steady looks like it will do a good job. The only concerns I would have with it is that for you next one I would beef up the areas at the mounting base(see my red arrows on your pic). If anything were to go wrong with this one I think it would be at either side of the mounting. Those areas appear to be "less robust" then the rest of the steady.
    Image1.jpg
    Last edited by James Combs; 04-30-2016 at 11:12 AM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Good eye, James. I had made a mistake measuring and ended up with a cutout that was too high. I was about to throw it away when I realized I could cut some off the bottom, center it, and then built up the area around the base. The part your pointed at is 3/4" high and 1.5" thick. I could easily add more material at your arrow points. Thank you.

I will also be watching to see if those sides and tops are big enough. So far, it is like a rock, but I had intended for those to be about 50% thicker.

Here is a picture of that spot from underneath. I will strengthen it but it does have wider material than it appears.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-30-2016 at 7:11 PM.

Hi Brian. Looks like your new one may solve your problem. Knowing my lack of knowledge of steady rests, I bit the bullet and bought a commercially made one off of ebay. The one that I had previoulsy bought from PSI (for considerably less $), didn't do the job. Here's a pic of the one I use now:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Stan, I just looked at the PSI steady rest and it doesn't look at all adequate. This one looks very useful.

Hi Brian. Yes, it serves the purpose very well. Seems like I always have to learn the hard (and expensive) way.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith