Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oops

Making 2nd Steady and practicing for 3rd.

I am making decisions quickly so I can get back to work. This will be for the Delta 46-460. I want to try ideas that will be used for a larger steady 20" to 22" lathe soon. (No, I can't wait because I need to make the pieces that I will sell to buy the larger equipment.)

At least this one will be made from wood. Less learning curve than with metal.

I like the C shape Lathe Steady shown on the "Woodbowlsandthings" site. I do not have a laser guide now, but would like this shape for the future larger system with a laser.

Will 2 layers of 3/4" baltic birch be adequate for this purpose?

I would like to use T-track for smoother adjustments and a shallower cut for the channels.

How do I attach the skate wheels to the T-track???

The wheels will be on the tailstock side and the base will be mostly on the headstock side.

I expect glitches and challenges on the way, BUT this is not how I intended to spend my one day off tomorrow.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

And a larger jaw

…and I am considering buying the Nova 100mm jaw for better support at the base. (currently using the 50mm jaw)
    The 100mm has a minimum compression size of 3.071" and the pieces I am turning are 3.5" in diameter.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-27-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Brian, There are obviously multiple ways to approach this and this is just one way: I used aluminum bar, 1" x 1/4", to hold the wheels. I threaded the bar at the ends (for the wheels) and stuck a bolt through the wheels that was a reasonably good fit. I used washers on each side of the wheel and a jam-nut on the other side of the bar to lock the bolt into place. I may have also used a drop or two of locktite once I had adjusted the clearance to a reasonable minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Brian - what is a "V-scraper"? I've heard of other types of scrapers but not V.

Thanks,

Mike
    I don't know the real name. It is what I call a scraper with a point on the end at about a 75° angle in the shape of a V. I'm sure somebody knows a better name.

Brian, thankfully you weren't injured. If I was building a new steady rest, I would use either form-ply plywood or baltic birch plywood. I like using form-ply for something like this, more than I like using baltic birch. What I like about the form-ply, is that it has a protective sheet on the face of it that protects the plywood from the cement that it would come in contact with. For a steady rest you don't have to worry about the cement, but it doesn't have a grain to it like wood does. I believe this gives the plywood extra strength, which might help prevent things like this from happening. Now, get your nerve back, and get to turning.
    Len

I made my steady rest with two layers of 3/4" Baltic Birch ply . slots for wheel support 3/8" deep. 16 lathe.
    C&C WELCOME

I am hoping this will be ready by tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Mine is steel but its not notched and i have no problem with arms slipping ,only wheels melting and poping .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I have no welding resources. Did you make one using bolt-holes? If so, could you show a picture or a plan?
    Brian I used the one with the bolts holes, I will try and get a picture tonight.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Thanks. I am making one right now out of Baltic Birch, but will be looking in the future to how to do one for a 20 or 22" lathe.

Here is a simple and solid one you can build from some good wood and 2 treaded rods, size to whatever size lathe you want to use it on, not mine.

Make a steady rest.jpg
    Have fun and take care

New Steady is done!

And done. 7.5" between the wheels.

The only remaining question - natural wood or Delta Gray?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian, Interesting use of the Tee channel. Looks like it'll work fine.

Question: Where do you buy Baltic birch in the Escondido or N. San Diego area ? I've seen birch at Home Depot (Escondido) but it is only 7 ply and has some voids in the plies.

This is from Rockler on Claremont Mesa Blvd.
    About once a week my work takes me that direction.

Good job on the study, like the way you used 4 wheels. Made one like it several years ago and I worked fine. I would not paint that good looking wood.