Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw overhead dust collection for $40

Table saw overhead dust collection for $40

I was looking at purchasing a commercial overhead collection system for ~ $350 (Cdn) but wasn't impressed that they are mostly 3" mains with an even smaller guard/collection head.

Another thing I didn't like was having to run another hose to the overhead. Ideally, the whole system would be self-contained with one hose hook up.

While I was mulling this over, I discovered 4" sewer pipe was $16 for 10' and the 90's are $6/each

One thing I should mention, I have no need to cross cut sheet goods so the foot print of the system could be quite a bit smaller...

I do rip panels, mostly baltic birch ply for core for veneered panels. They are then cross cut on the SCMS. Cores are 1" oversize and once veneered are trimmed to size/length with a sled on the table saw, hence no need for more than 24" width capacity.

Up until now, I had a piece of plywood between my saw and its base with an inlet for a 5" hose. But it's the top dust that is nasty and it was time to address this...

To begin, I made a plywood manifold with a cut out at the top to fit over the original 5" starter pipe (easier than removing it), a 5" starter pipe on one side for the main collection hose and a collar for the 4" sewer pipe on the other side, basically a T.

That in turn is screwed to a length of 3/4" plywood which is long enough to also support the sewer pipe before it turns to go up. A couple of metal screws secure this contraption to the base supports !

The upright support is a short piece of wood with two metal screws into the side of the top extension and a hose clamp. That gives me three mounting points for rigidity.

For a collection head/guard I used a 10" x 4" HVAC duct. It's height right now is high enough to clear my sled and I will decide (after some use) if I need to make something to get closer to the work being cut (without the sled). After a couple of test cuts, it does appear the dust coming off the back of the blade is going straight into the hood...

At the back/interior of the saw I've added a couple of pieces of angled 1/4" MDF at the front and back to help with directing the dust into the collection port. For now, I've taped the collection hole to balance the velocity between the top and bottom collection points.

Some fine tuning may be necessary but for now, I'm pleased.

Cheers, Don

2 - Top intake.jpg

1 - Main intake.jpg

4 - Front three quarter.jpg

3 - Bottom top inlet.jpg

5 - Front view web.jpg

7 - Table mount.jpg

6 - Back view.jpg
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Nicely done and good pictures

I like

So in picture 5, the coffee can thing on the floor at 3 o clock , it appears to be a dust chute, does the can serve as a hose connection or a circle scribing device.

If connection, what size is the can and what fits it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    So in picture 5, the coffee can thing on the floor at 3 o clock , it appears to be a dust chute, does the can serve as a hose connection or a circle scribing device.
    I can’t speak for the OP, but in my shop it would likely be a coffee can of random parts that happened to be sitting on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Nicely done and good pictures
    Thanks Larry !

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    I like

If connection, what size is the can and what fits it.
    It is an (experimental) hood that can be moved around to where it's needed, the coffee can conveniently fits 4" hose

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Hi Don,

Fastcap makes a neat brush that you can wrap around the end of your metal inlet. It would hang down and close up the gap, and still allow work to travel under it. They make it for use on cnc setups, and you buy it by the foot.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Hi Don,
    Fastcap makes a neat brush that you can wrap around the end of your metal inlet. It would hang down and close up the gap, and still allow work to travel under it. They make it for use on cnc setups, and you buy it by the foot.
    I was thinking something like that would be the "easiest" solution

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post

Cheers, Don
    How about something like this?

That is the basic idea except...

I'm working with a limited velocity of ~3800 ft/m for both the top and bottom ports.

Full coverage may restrict the intake air to a certain extent. The brush only needs to come to within an inch or so of the saw's top for most of my work and the back will be open, the dust coming off the back of the blade will naturally be thrown into the hood.

As is, I have full access to change blades so I may velcro the brushes on. And I may wait until I need more clearance to the hood before installing a telescoping section on the upright.

I'll cut the pipe level with the saw top and install a section of pipe inside the original pipe. By that I mean, cut a 12" section of pipe and remove a small section along the length so it can be compressed and slipped inside the original pipe. A captured nut and bolt for height adjustment...

KISS

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Well now that is has been a while since you posted this any ideas or suggestions? I am looking for ideas on over head DC on my TS.
    oh that shiny thing on the top of the table saw with that bristly thing laying on it, what is that?

Lane

Nothing new to report. That is a retro, un-powered, manual dust collector/transporter.

12. I made an overhead guard from perspex and framework from some square aluminium tubing. It uses a 4" port/hose, has a front serated rubber lip that catches all larger chips, sides can move up / down independently as a piece of wood is fed through. The 4" dust port is forward of the blade and intake is at the rear of the guard. This creates a flow of air over the blade from the rear and helps to gently turn the dust coming off the blade into the port rather than having to completely turn it around as in dssigns that have a rear port. Overall a bit rough but works extremely well. Between this and the 6" cabinet port I get virtually zero fine dust or chips when cutting.

20161010_070716.jpg

20161010_070605.jpg

Cheers, Dom

Dom, that looks great. I need to build something like that, but for ceiling mount so I can get back to running over-blade collection most of the time. I'm going to have to look more closely at your photos, but you essentially have built they kind of retractable setup I want. It would be helpful if you could post another photo with the guard down to the blade but from the side like photo number two in your post. Pretty please...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post

Cheers, Don
    Beat me to it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thanks Glenn,

I couldn't find a seller that ships to Canada so I ordered from Over Seas

$11.11 for 40" with shipping included !

Cheers, Don

BTW > I made a mock up with stiff paper which works well enough that I never got around to changing it, he, he...

Table saw dust shroud.jpg
    Product Photographer