Thread: German Shepherd Woodcarving

German Shepherd Woodcarving

Germ Sh_Sit 28 Red.jpegGerm Sh_Sit 18 Red.jpegGerm Sh_Sit 17 Red.jpegGerm Sh_Sit 10 Red.jpeg

Here is my latest. This is a German Shepherd in a sitting pose. The collar in this case was something that really was part of the pet according to the owner. Something made me ask about the collar when the owner sent me the photos that I use to work from for each of these carvings that I end up posting. The owner responded back that I could do as I pleased. But he then added that the collar was the dog's security blanket. Well I really did not think that left a choice and I carved in the collar in this case. The collar does have an effect on the dog's coat right at the neck. So I had to deal with that once I was committed to the collar itself. I can do them either way. Sort of depends on that speaks to the pets owner.

One thing I like about the Shep as a subject is the degree of coat color variation you find in one animal. This guy goes from black/grey, through some light tan mid-tones to white. So there was plenty to keep me busy dealing with his coloration and finishing.

Hope you guys enjoy him.

Fantastic James! One of my favorites.

Really looks great. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement Scott. You have a pm reply in your in box.

Thanks really to all of the members that post up their comments on my work. I appreciate all of your comments.

Lower Onslow NS, about half way between the the North Pole and the Equator
    Hi James
    Very nice carving of the German Shepard, a non shedding one. When are getting rid of snow back ground, I guess you like the rest of still waiting for spring
    Bruce

We have gotten some spitting spring snow storms. Melts away pretty quick. Within reason I have tried all sorts of things to try to get good indoor lighting photos and without becoming fanatical about it, I just can't get it done. The shots I take indoors are terrible.....Even these in natural light just barely begin to show the amount of detail in these carvings. But they are about 100% better than any photo I seem to be able to take indoors.

I really like this one Jim. The colors and textures are just great.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”