Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Hamilton has passed, RIP

Bob Hamilton has passed, RIP

On 4/24, Bob Hamilton lost his battle with kidney cancer. I'm sure I am not the only one here who watched with great interest many of Bob Hamilton's Youtube videos, of which he was a prolific creator for many years. His channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bobham5

From 2009 through last year, Bob posted hundreds of woodturning videos, all narrated in his charming Canadian accent. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but I really wish I had. Back when I first started woodturning and was watching every helpful video I could get my eyes on, Bob's video collection was the source of much knowledge gain on my woodturning adventure. He will be greatly missed.

The online obituary can be found here, which includes where to send online condolences:

http://canadaobits.ca/hamilton-rober...amilton+robert

So sad. I have watched many of his videos. He will be missed.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very sorry to hear this! Bob contributed a lot to the woodturning community and it was much appreciated! My sincere condolences to his family. RIP Bob!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I really hate to hear about Bob's passing. He was a great woodturner and enjoyed sharing his know how about turning.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Sorry to hear that. Have just recently come across his YouTube videos and bought a Oneway Coring System based on his review. He added a lot to the woodturning community.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

That is terrible. I loved watching Bob's turning videos, he had such a great way of explaining things.

Deepest condolences to his family.

Sorry to hear this. I watched quite a few of his videos. They are great and his explanations were complete.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Condolences to his family. I watched just about all of his videos and they inspired me to start making woodturning videos too. I did not know about the cancer, but wondered why he quit making videos.
    God is great and life is good!

Thoughts and prayers out to the family. I learned some things from Bob's videos. RIP Bob.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sad to hear but thanks for letting us know. His knowledge and generosity will live on through his videos. My sympathies to his family and friends.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Very sorry to hear of Bob's passing. I only met Bob 3 times, the first shortly after I bought my first lathe several years ago and he drove from Forest to Bothwell to give me some much needed instruction on how to use it. The next two I drove to Forest and again got some instruction and the last time he gave me some pieces of Box elder and walnut burl he had. Still have a couple pieces of the walnut and will use it for something to remember him by.
    I learned a lot from his video's over the few years I have been turning
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

RIP, Bob. I have watched a lot of his videos, particularly the ones on box making and on skews.

Bob in his final couple of weeks really blessed me with a wonderful kind act. I was having an issue with my lathe so I posted on a forum asking for help with it. Bob responded with saying that he was getting out of turning and asked if I wanted to buy his lathe and a whole bunch of extras, he said he would go easy on me, but wanted to take the extra work away from his wife. He state a price and it was so good that even as a hobbyist I could not turn away from such a beautiful proposal. A 2436, with a number of options on it along with the easycore system and a whole rolling chest of drawers filled with faceplates, adapters, livecenters and chuck jaws plus so much more, and six dozen of turning tools. For a price that can only be explained as a gift. I felt elated and yet guilty for feeling so great about what I had just purchased. Bob and his wife were relieved that I would take it off their hands and his wife happy that it was going to someone who would appreciate the tools. As I stated I am grateful for his generosity and extremely saddened to hear of his passing, my prayer and thoughts are with his wife and the 2 children.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Just a little past the "Best Before" date.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Hoogendoorn View Post
    Bob in his final couple of weeks really blessed me with a wonderful kind act. I was having an issue with my lathe so I posted on a forum asking for help with it. Bob responded with saying that he was getting out of turning and asked if I wanted to buy his lathe and a whole bunch of extras, he said he would go easy on me, but wanted to take the extra work away from his wife. He state a price and it was so good that even as a hobbyist I could not turn away from such a beautiful proposal. A 2436, with a number of options on it along with the easycore system and a whole rolling chest of drawers filled with faceplates, adapters, livecenters and chuck jaws plus so much more, and six dozen of turning tools. For a price that can only be explained as a gift. I felt elated and yet guilty for feeling so great about what I had just purchased. Bob and his wife were relieved that I would take it off their hands and his wife happy that it was going to someone who would appreciate the tools. As I stated I am grateful for his generosity and extremely saddened to hear of his passing, my prayer and thoughts are with his wife and the 2 children.
    What a wonderful story Dirk. If you search Bob's videos you will find a video describing his shop remodeling and also his new Oneway 2436 and all it's features. Such an easy going guy. I'd have loved to have met him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Hoogendoorn View Post

Sounds like Bob, generous and willing to help others. When he drove the hour to help me get set up the first time he brought lathe accessories I didn't even know I would need and gave them to me. Glad the lathe and equipment went where it would be appreciated and used and his wife did not have to deal with it.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project