Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Ground Filler

Coffee Ground Filler

I plan on using some used, dried out coffee grinds to fill a crack in a piece. Is there a "usual" to make a mix? Does one use CA, or PVA, or epoxy, or something different? Thanks.

I've used it with CA but never "pre" mixed. I put a little CA in, then some grounds and tamp the grounds with a popsicle stick, more CA, more grounds.....until the crack/void is filled.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I've mixed coffee grounds and Titebond in a small cup, then used that mix to fill voids. It has a thicker consistency at that point and it pretty easy to putty in. Overfill your crack, then once it is dried either sand or turn off the excess.

I have not tried any other methods to compare it to though.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

used coffee grounds are best.

take them out of the filter, put on a cookie sheet and dry them in the oven before using.

I use 2 part epoxy. Overfill and turn off the excess. I have used 5 minute epoxy but I think 30 minute is supposed to be stronger. Never had a problem with it.

Like Matt, I use Titebond and premix using as little glue as possible to get a workable mix. Then, "tamp" it in with a small dowel or other object appropriate to the void. Dries pretty quickly and easier to fool with than CA or epoxy.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would avoid the CA for a filler--it dries to something like granite and makes a hump when sanding. Epoxy is fine and probably titebond?

I use epoxy, on coffee, charcoal, or artist paints. 5 minute.

I've always tamped then flooded with thin CA, but have never been a fan of the process. If you over-flood the CA it flows downhill and leaves streaks in the wood that have to be sanded off. This is easier if you have a coat of wax or finish on the piece, but things don't always happen in that order. I might have to try mixing and tamping. For the titebond method, do y'all use the medium or think?

if you're using CA, it's wise to use wipe on a bit of de-waxed shellac on the surrounding area so the CA won't soak into the wood and streak the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    ..... For the titebond method, do y'all use the medium or think?
    I use the Titebond II-- nothing special. I don't measure out the glue to coffee grounds ratio at all, but you can adjust it to however thick or wet that you want. The dark grounds hide the slight yellow/amber color of the dried glue and it turns out looking pretty good.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    I use the Titebond II-- nothing special. I don't measure out the glue to coffee grounds ratio at all, but you can adjust it to however thick or wet that you want. The dark grounds hide the slight yellow/amber color of the dried glue and it turns out looking pretty good.
    Yes, when I wrote that I was thinking Star Bond CA glue, not Titebond wood glue. Makes more sense now.

I used some white PVA glue since that's what I had in the shop. I like the results. Easy to sand and didn't collect any sanding dust.

Why coffee grounds? I've never heard of filling voids with coffe grounds till I got into wood turning. So I a few months ago I tried it mixed with epoxy. Result... Clear epoxy with coffee grounds floating in the epoxy? Can't say I get it? I use epoxy with a drop or two of walnut Trans Tint.