Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley Frog

Blog Entries
    Must be a fairly common issue with Stanley adjustment systems. The 4 1/2 I ended up with in the same deal as the 5 1/2 had a nail holding the depth adjustment wheel on the frog. I guess we should not expect every one to take a licking for 100 years and not show a little age though. I learned to look at pictures closer and not to bid on planes that do not provide good pictures of all the working parts.

I believe I have learned enough about how the Stanley type planes work by restoring them to use them more effectively.

I have (luckily) only had to remove that post twice. I tried using leather wrapped around the stud, but it wouldn't hold. I ended up taking a small piece of aluminum siding and folding it over and then wrap it around the stud and clamping the bejeezus out of it in a vise. It works but you have to add a little Locktite when you out the stud back in. I also recommend this only as a last resort. Kroil will unstick/unfreeze 99% of problems like seized threads.

Floppy doesn't bother me. But having to find a 9/32-20 LH die (or whatever it really is on MF planes) to chase damaged threads on that post definitely does!

Seriously..just one more thirty-secondth and it could have been a 5/16, which I can find at an affordable price!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    Floppy doesn't bother me. But having to find a 9/32-20 LH die (or whatever it really is on MF planes) to chase damaged threads on that post definitely does!

Seriously..just one more thirty-secondth and it could have been a 5/16, which I can find at an affordable price!
    I have some Greenfield 'Little Giant' dies that are two piece adjustable die sets. I have had some luck running a larger one tight to work threads on a smaller size shaft.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)