Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next little project??

Thanks Steven. Your builds are always fun to watch!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Got most of the second long post rounded, except for that last foot or so. I ran out of "gas" for today. Besides, there is a BIG,old knot in the way....

Maybe try more tomorrow? I need to go out and take a few more measurements. Like how long are the two front posts? May use the lathe, may just drawknife them round.

Need to start to figure out the rest of the rocker. The pattern uses dowels.....the white one beside it uses 1x1s........maybe something else for mine? Underneath the slats for the seat, maybe a bit bigger cross-section that a 1/2" x 2"?

Have yet to make a mark on a piece of paper......so far I am working things out in my head. Don't like screws into end grain.......M&T with wedges and pins might be better? The two slats for the seat's back...top and bottom ones...pattern shows as a flat 4/4 x 6".......maybe add a slight curve to them?

Starting to feel like a Holbrooke build post? IF you people want, I could start a second thread, mainly on the rocker build?

BTW, picked up some brass corner pieces for the new 3 plane box. They are attached with some of the smallest screws I've ever seen.......need the magnifier to install screws....

You are using Pine? Not to be a doubting Thomas / backseat driver, but I don't think that is a good material choice for the legs or the back and certainly not for the rockers. Seems to me that you should select a hardwood for this project.

The one I'm currently sitting in IS pine. Painted, of course.

The wood is also reclaimed wood. Adds a little more character, that way.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    The one I'm currently sitting in IS pine. Painted, of course.

The wood is also reclaimed wood. Adds a little more character, that way.
    Must not be BORG pine. LOL Maybe reclaimed old growth heart pine?

Bought the pine 2 yrs ago, at Menards. Have let them season outside ( Gazebo frame) until a big wind storm took things apart. Let them season a while longer. have cut out the "bad" sections as best as I can. Posts so far have that Hand hewn look to them. I seem to like it that way. Now have both long and one short post done. Also a few other parts have been milled up, in the rough. letting those sit awhile, as well.

Long posts are now done, and will get set aside for a while...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Let them season a bit. Dug through the stash a bit, found one 4x4 without too many knots. Cut it to length (~ 24" or so..) then resawed two post blanks out...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    This time, since these are a lot shorter..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    May not be a shave horse, but it will have to do..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Kept rotating it around, until I was close to round, bit of a CardioWorkout for me. Sanding belt to smooth some of the rougher spots...
    IMAG0006.jpg
    all of this mess, to produce one post?
    IMAG0007.jpg
    That's enough drawknife work for today. i'll do the other one tomorrow.
    I made a seat support rail..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Will cut it to final length later. Need two more just like it. I also roughed out the crest rail.....and will let it sit.
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Will need to cut this to length, and cut some tenons. Using through tenons with pins, and maybe I'll use wedges as well.

have a road trip to do after a bit. I can let these just sit for awhile, no real rush for completion....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-10-2016 at 2:53 PM.

was in Menards the other day....got brass corners for the 3 Plane Box. I also spent a bit on a 5/4 x 4 x8' pine board. Flat sawn, tight grain. Not a knot to be found. Laid out for one of the rockers that will go under the chair. Bandsaw to cut out. Not quite a full curve, should have bought the 6" wide one. Was able to adjust to cuts a bit. There is now a return curve at the "back" that usually was made so you couldn't tip back too far. Might get a few other items cut, then start on a few dry fits. maybe by this weekend......moving at the speed of smell right now......

Ok, here is that recurve thingy..
    IMAG0002.jpg
    It is suppose to prevent you from over-rocking to the rear. Beltsander helped, where the spokeshave didn't want to work. Both of these are now done..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    And, we have a pile on the floor, again...
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Must mean that the HMS Pegleg is ready to launch
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Well, almost...I flipped this thing around a few times, until this showed up..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Whole lot of sanding going on, as well. Both front posts are now done. I THINK that should do it for all the rounding work. Cardio Workout for the day is done, too...whew.

Not much got done on this today. Maybe tomorrow, I can start measuring a few things, and start a cut list sort of thing.

Bottom ends of the front post will get slotted to go around the rockers. A bit of shaping to round the end, and a pin or two all the way through.

Top of the front posts will get a tenon, to go through the arm rests. Then a wedge or two.

Back posts will also get the slot at the bottom. and the rounding, and a pin or two. All other connection to the back posts will be Mortise & Tenon joints.

The way that backsaw likes to cut......slightly curved seat and back slats should not be much trouble to do. Back slats get M&T joints. Seat slats.....we'll see.

Not much of a carver, crest rail will just be a plain affair.

Got the corners done. Might start a new thread, once I get back to working on the rocker.

This thread is getting a bit long, anyway.

First off, need to get that No.358 mitre box OFF my work bench...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Not a whole lot of room left to work.....thanks to this $15 saw thingy...

bench has been cleared off. I have started a new thread about that rocking chair build.