Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple Chest Build

Blog Entries

Curly Maple Chest Build

This is a kind of truncated build thread of a Curly Maple chest. I hadn’t planned on posting, so I neglected to take pictures of some stuff, but I hope what pics I have will be of interest to some of my fellow Creekers.

This is a chest for our 21-year-old son, and who in his infinite wisdom is moving into a house with 8 of his teammates on the water polo team, but most importantly into a room that has no door.
    There must be some upside to this that completely escapes me. One thing that’s clear - it would be helpful if he had someplace to secure his most important possessions (as limited as those might be). Which was my motivation for the project.

Here is a compass rose that will be inlaid into the chest top. I’ve tried this a couple times before with varying degrees of success. What seems to work for me is saw out with a fret saw, 1/8”thick inlay material, pare/sand to desired dimensions and glue up the elements of the compass rose inlay with super glue.
    1.jpg

When this is done, use that to outline the recess in the chest top it. Lee Valley offers small diameter bits that fit a dremel that I find really helpful to create the majority the recess. The hardest part for me is creating the recess for the points of the cardinal directions. I’ve had the most luck with using an exacto own knife.
    2.jpg

Here’s a picture of the result.
    3.jpg4.jpg

Sawing the dovetails for the carcass. I went with a nonlinear pattern: wider tales in the middle and narrow tales on the side. Looks probably asymmetrical here because there laid out to match with a baseboard moulding.
    5.jpg6.jpg

Midway into the project, I decided was time to resurface my benchtop. It was a lot more work than an old, fat guy like me needs (benchtop is Maple), but the unanticipated benefit is the lighter color of the newly planed benchtop makes it a lot easier to see what I’m working on – who knew!
    8.jpg7.jpg

Blog Entries
    I am a novice Carver, but struggle with the skill because I like the detail/embellishment it can add to projects. My only insight about carving is bigger is easier.
    A lot of the thin elements of this had to be done with a carving knife
    9.jpg13.jpg

Next was the baseboard molding. I’m trying hard to learn to use hollows, rounds and molding planes. My only woodworking related trip to the ER involved an electric router (totally my fault), so I try to avoid them at all costs. I’ve done okay with molding planes in softer woods, but in this curly maple it was more of a challenge. Turned out okay.
    10.jpg11.jpg

Here is the glue up of the carcass:
    12.jpg

I decided to make the sliding till out of something called “Carob (sic?)” I found at my local wood indulgence – Tropical Exotic Hardwoods of South America (come on you have to admit that’s a great name for a lumberyard).
    All I can tell you is I thought the color might look good with Maple, the slab had lots of difficult to plane end grain. Not my first choice for future hand tool projects. Here’s the completed till before and after finish:
    14.jpg15.jpg16.5.jpg

As always, beautiful work Mike.

I expect your panels will pull up much better than mine did. If they do not, I've found a great "pooky".

ken

Blog Entries
    16.6.jpg

I like frame and panel construction and using hand planes to create the profile on the frame and the fielding of the panel. In this case I was limited to 4/4 quarter stock and that meant to have the depth I wanted on the top of the chest, a simple groove in the frame wouldn’t allow enough thickness on the bottom of the frame to give the strength I wanted (I’m guessing people are going to be sitting on this chest). So I just rabbited the back of the frame and added mitered, reinforcing strips. Our youngest is 6’4,” 230 so odds are it’s probably going to break anyway.
    16.jpg

The bottom is plywood with aromatic cedar glued on top.

17.jpg

Here is the half mortice chest lock and layout for the hinges. Hinges are one of my latest least favorite elements of any project. I’ve historically had a high screw-up rate. My preference is first mortice hinges to the door and then scribe the hinges into the carcass. Not sure that’s right, still struggle for me.

19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg18.jpg

Blog Entries
    Here’s some pictures of the finished project. Finish was oil/varnish mix (Watco Natural) sanded with 600 grit (I’m not really sure why I do that, theoretically I’m hoping it fills some of the open pores in the grain). Next is Amber shellac. This is kind of my “go to” finish, which only means I have marginally less chance of screwing it up.
    I really tried to use a French polished technique using a “pad” (linen fabric filled with cotton batting) to not only apply the shellac, but in the latter stages with a couple drops of mineral oil to “scratch” the shellac into us with their/my glossy finish.
    25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg30.jpg28.jpg29.jpg

Finishing always seemed like voodoo to me, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out.
    Thanks for looking,

All the best, Mike

I wasn't going to include this, and it's highly likely there is a bit of whiskey talking here, but I'm genuinely frustrated/confused and looking for some help. I love SMC and clearly if if the cost/benefit ratio were negative, I just wouldn't participate anymore (in the true spirit of Homo Ecominicus for you economists out there). I confess I'm a technological ludite. However, I do communicate via multiple technology platforms professionally for living. There are a couple IT things about SMC I don't understand, and would very much appreciate any advice or suggestions:

1) Why do we have to upload one picture at a time? It would certainly save a lot of time if we can upload multiple pictures.

2) Why do loaded pictures appear as a "thumbnail". Reading the text of the post and then clicking through the photograph separately and trying to sink the two is horrible Communication. Why can't the pictures just appear full-size in the post directly adjacent to the relevant text in the post?

3) When I upload pictures and then click "insert", why do they in fact not insert, and then I must go to the "manage attachments" drop-down and manually click on each picture to get them inserted into the post?

I don't want to be a jerk, and I am sure my complaints expressed above are largely related to my own ignorance. That said, it's a Ton of work (for an idiot like me) to post stuff to SMC and unless it gets easier, I'm out. Okay I'm sure I sound like an A. hole now. I reserve the right to disavow this post when I sober up (I'm sure I'll regret this later). I'm just saying – can somebody help a brother out here?

All the best, Mike

Mike,

First don't go .

Second I'm not sure about multiple photos but for single full sized photos if, and I believe this is a big if, you upload from a URL like photobucket or such there will be a small check box under the URL line. Un-check the box and your photo will appear in the correct spot and sized correctly. From your personal computer I believe only thumbnails are available.

BTW, have one for me....I'm on the wagon for a couple of months,

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 04-27-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Looking good Mike! You always use amazing lumber in your projects! I don't know about the picture posting thing, Every once in a while I figure out how to post one.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

First don't go .

Second I'm not sure about multiple photos but for single full sized photos if, and I believe this is a big if, you upload from a URL like photobucket or such there will be a small check box under the URL line. Un-check the box and your photo will appear in the correct spot and sized correctly. From your personal computer I believe only thumbnails are available.

BTW, have one for me....I'm one the wagon for a couple of months,

ken
    Your still having tacos though right? I got a friend who works for Stone brewery....very dangerous relationship that one! I like my whiskey mainly though, I'm from Tennessee originally after all haha

Blog Entries
    Awesome chest Mike.

I also sometimes wonder about the inefficiencies of the V-Bulletin software that runs this and many other sites.

Then it comes to me that software costs money to write.

It is possible to up load two images at a time. Just use the + next to the upload button to get an option to load another image.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Your still having tacos though right? I got a friend who works for Stone brewery....very dangerous relationship that one! I like my whiskey mainly though, I'm from Tennessee originally after all haha
    Mike,

When I can sneak one past the food nazi :-). BTW I found a fish taco joint here in The Old Pueblo that is as good as any in Mexico, that's the good news, the bad is it is only a couple of blocks East of Casa Chaos. or maybe that's good news as well.

ken.

Blog Entries
    Mike, this chest is gorgeous!

8 ppl and no doors? That's gotta be fun for about 10 minutes.

I host my stuff on photobucket, then post up using image tags. Still tedious but less so.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

That chest is really beautiful Mike - the wood, your work, the inlay, the carving and your finish really come together into a lovely "whole".

Finishing is like voodoo to me too. I tend to find something that works and use it over and over. (Right now it's clear shellac. Used to be Tung Oil Finish.) Bob Flexner's book helped me understand the processes better and get better at doing it. But I'd still rather build something than finish something.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Awesome work, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    ... Finish was oil/varnish mix (Watco Natural) sanded with 600 grit (I’m not really sure why I do that, theoretically I’m hoping it fills some of the open pores in the grain). Next is Amber shellac. This is kind of my “go to” finish, which only means I have marginally less chance of screwing it up.
    I really tried to use a French polished technique using a “pad” (linen fabric filled with cotton batting) to not only apply the shellac, but in the latter stages with a couple drops of mineral oil to “scratch” the shellac into us with their/my glossy finish.
    26.jpg

Finishing always seemed like voodoo to me, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out.
    Mike
    I love woodworking and I hate finishing because it seems that's the point where the greatest stress lies also. For example dye or stain and the onset of blotchiness or discovering glue residue, etc, etc, etc.

You project looks very nice and very natural. I am though confused though by the formula to your success. When you mention oil and varnish as a first coat could you provide more detail please? For example is this BLO and varnish? What varnish, ie: Minwax polurethane or? What ratio of oil to varnish? I am equally confused by the shellac over the top of the varnish especially the shellac and mineral oil mixture. Like I said, the chest is beautiful but how in the world did you get that recipe?

A wonderful chest,really! But,I would wonder what is to keep someone from carrying off that wonderful chest! It is a highly desirable object,regardless of what might be inside!! No kidding.