Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple Chest Build

Beautiful work. I like the compass rose!

That's some beautiful work Mike,The curly maple is outstanding. Did you feel the need to surface your bench flat to gain a advantage over hand planing the maple?.Oh I know how tricky curly wood can be.

Love that early 19th century sea captains chest look! As for your son, the no door thing could mean they are setting up some sort religious order.

DO NOT LEAVE. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Absolutely gorgeous work, again.

Hi Mike

Firstly, great chest. You have an eye for proportions and balance.

Secondly, think 'black coffee'.

Thirdly, use Photobucket - that makes it simple to post multiple images (as I do).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Mike:
    # 1: Please don't leave.
    #2: very nice box and overall finished product. We appreciate the time you spent on showing us the process.
    Thanks again--
    Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Second I'm not sure about multiple photos but for single full sized photos if, and I believe this is a big if, you upload from a URL like photobucket or such there will be a small check box under the URL line. Un-check the box and your photo will appear in the correct spot and sized correctly. From your personal computer I believe only thumbnails are available.
    Just as an FYI, many of us (if not all) can only see inline photos on mobile devices; thumbnails don't appear in the "mobile default" view. I'd explain how Manage Attachments window settings could keep photos from appearing as thumbnails, but I really can't suss out how it works. Maybe making them "Inline" (the button at the bottom right of the window) does it, but I haven't gotten around to running test posts to find out. My bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I host my stuff on photobucket, then post up using image tags. Still tedious but less so.
    Another FYI: photos on Photobucket's site are virtually unviewable on mobile devices because swaths of the top and bottom of the image are hidden by photobucket site stuff.

I know, I know, first world problems!

Mike,

Beautiful job, and I agree, the carving does add a lot, wish I could carve, but have things that are more basic to learn first.

Stew

Blog Entries
    I haven't had any trouble viewing photo bucket pictures on iPhone/pad/ect.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Mike,

Fabulous work as always. Will look forward to any future posts you decide to send our way!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I haven't had any trouble viewing photo bucket pictures on iPhone/pad/ect.
    I can see them, they're just largely obscured by stuff.

Can you see thumbnails on mobile devices?

Blog Entries
    I can see them as well, and i can enlarge them by clicking on them.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

First don't go .

Second I'm not sure about multiple photos but for single full sized photos if, and I believe this is a big if, you upload from a URL like photobucket or such there will be a small check box under the URL line. Un-check the box and your photo will appear in the correct spot and sized correctly. From your personal computer I believe only thumbnails are available.

BTW, have one for me....I'm on the wagon for a couple of months,

ken

Hi Ken, I'm not going anywhere. I was being childish and petulant, which I have to confess, has been known to happen when I'm frustrated with technology issues. I very much appreciate the advice you, Brian and Derek offered about Photobucket. Brian has graciously suggested this to me in the past and I have tried without success. I will try again.

Take care of yourself friend. Being on the wagon is not so bad, especially considering you discovered a new spot for authentic fish tacos just outside your front door!

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Awesome chest Mike.

I also sometimes wonder about the inefficiencies of the V-Bulletin software that runs this and many other sites.

Then it comes to me that software costs money to write.

It is possible to up load two images at a time. Just use the + next to the upload button to get an option to load another image.

jtk

Jim, thanks for your kind comment and the suggestion about uploading multiple pictures. My ridiculous rant was way more about me than the software. I love the Creek and am grateful to everyone involved for making this Forum possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

Finishing is like voodoo to me too. I tend to find something that works and use it over and over. (Right now it's clear shellac. Used to be Tung Oil Finish.) Bob Flexner's book helped me understand the processes better and get better at doing it. But I'd still rather build something than finish something.

Fred

Fred, +1 to your comments about building is waaaay more fun than finishing. I appreciate the suggestion and will pick up Bob Flexner's book.