Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Vacuum for Dust Deputy

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    I bought a new Ridgid at the BORG yesterday. It's a huge improvement from my 15 year old Craftsman. Looks like I might be able to mount the Dust Deputy vertically.. We shall see!
    Which model did you get? I'm about to put my DD into service and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a new vac..... mostly because I want one It will be replacing my 15yr old Craftsman as well.

Blog Entries
    I have run a 6.5 HP (yeah, right) Ridgid for 13 years. Bought another to go with my second DD station. I get the model with the detachable "yard blower" feature as I lose the barrel in preference to a smaller chambered filter box.

Ridgid Vac Mad v1 (12).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Check the noise on Ridgid vacs. There is a 14 gallon model that is substantially lower noise level than the different 16 gallon models. I had to call Ridgid when I bought mine about 6 years back and it did cost a little more, but definitely worth the cost. The 14 vs 16 gallon capacity does not make any difference since all the trash is knocked out in the 5 gallon Dust Deputy container (which you could change out to larger container also).

The cyclone will not operate in a horizontal position since it relys on gravity dropping out the spinning "heavy dust particles" and clean air going to middle and up the outlet tube. Onida does have an elbow that fits on the top outlet and helps reduce/eliminate the high hose and tipping problems.
    Last edited by Thomas Canfield; 05-01-2016 at 8:49 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Stan, There has to be a leak into your collection container somewhere. Either the lid seal or the seal between the Dust Deputy and the lid. Either one will cause the sawdust to build up in the cone of the Dust Deputy. A vacuum leak is very hard to see and find, but it's there DAMHIKT.

Steven, You really need to mount the Dust Deputy vertical. It won't work well lying down. Mine fell over once so I found this out through experience.

Charley
    Not only me but practically every other opinion in this thread points to a leak. The Dust Deputy is, quite simply, the best solution to an inexpensive, flexible, effective dust collection system for smaller tools. The fact that people are using it with all different size vacs with success, including me, is empirical testament to this.
    Leaks can be difficult to find, and I find it is sometimes easier to simply tear down what I have already built and start over. My go to solution is lots of caulking.
    Mike