Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Tape Measure Brand?

What's Your Favorite Tape Measure Brand?

It's time for a new tape that is used primarily for cabinet and furniture making. What's your go-to favorite?

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-33-525...+tape+measures

This one. They are usually not in stores so I order them a case at a time. The size fits my small hands better than any other, and I check them for accuracy and they are all good. Mostly I just love the way they fall into the hand.

Stanley 25' FatMax

Here's another vote for the Stanley Powerlock. I use a 16 foot tape in the shop, and a 30 foot on the job site.
    Those are the only tapes I've used for over 20 years.
    Rick W

For layout and marking I like the Fastcap Flatback PS-FLAT-16. The blade is limp and has no curve so it lays flat on the work piece making it easy to mark accurately. They make a couple of different versions, including one that you can write on to use as a story stick, but I prefer the one with markings that go to both edges. It does take some getting used to, and it is pretty useless for typical measuring tasks where you need the rule to standout. For that I like the FatMax line. I keep the Flatback on my workbench and a FatMax in my apron and toolbelt.

Also not too crazy about the spring clip on the Flatback. It works fine, but because it works differently than the typical clip it's not second nature to use. But since I just mostly leave it on the bench, it doesn't matter much.

I have a Fat Max and love it for general construction but it's too big, too heavy and overkill for cabinet making.

Blog Entries
    I helped make a machine that assembles the rewind springs for the Stanley PowerLock 25' and 30' tape measures. Stanley gave us some samples and I've been using them ever since.Z2_wu_fo5oy.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For general shop work, I like 12' komelon self lock.
    (I've got a bunch of other tapes for other purposes, but the compact size, neon case, and self-lock feature are great)

Matt

I prefer the Stanley Lever Lock tapes over the power lock, much simpler to use, crisp tape, excellent markings, and quite accurate tapes.

I've thrown away other branded tapes because some are not accurate. Had received a free tape from Mirka years ago, built many things with it and started to notice an issue when using other measuring tools. Damn Mirka tape was 1/32 to 1/16 off from anything else I had.

I compare tapes to a Woodpecker ruler and only use the ones which all match. Alleviates a lot of problems.

I use two, a good ol' Stanley FatMax and a Fastcap Flatback.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Main squeeze is the Fat Max autolock 16'

Fastcap flat back, Fastcap burn one and a stick rule get used a lot in the shop.

Fastcap speedclips are handy too but pencil sharpener on them ain't all that great.

Won't buy any more Stanleys. The quality has gone downhill alarmingly over the last couple years. Current favorite in the shop is a 16' Milwaukee. Most often used measuring device is the 5' wooden folding rule.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Blog Entries
    Don't know....can't find any of mine to get you a name.
    I will say the first one I bought that locked when you pull it out was handier than the ones you have to lock after pulling it out.
    Can anyone recomend a laser measuring tape? Are they as accurate as their mechanical counterterpart? Or and app for smartphones?

This was recently discussed: Best Tape Measure??

I near as I can tell the best answer is, "it depends". Since the choice is personal, good luck with your search.

15. Fastcap Flatback