Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's Your Favorite Tape Measure Brand?

With the Stanley tapes, does anyone feel that the "blade armor" is worth the extra cost? It's interesting that the 25 ft is $9.86 at Amazon while the shorter 16 ft is $16.23. Go figure - less is more !

I threw out my FastCap flat tape because the tape is a whip. The end hook doesn't stay "hooked" and it comes a-whipping. Cut my fingers and knuckles some. I threw it out!

I use the Fax Max. I like the ability to extend the tape further without collapsing... such as measuring for crown molding..

Blog Entries
    I generally use a Stanley 3/4" x 16'. I have a 1" x 25' if I'm doing something that needs a longer reach.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    I threw out my FastCap flat tape because the tape is a whip. The end hook doesn't stay "hooked" and it comes a-whipping. Cut my fingers and knuckles some.
    I have experienced the whip myself more than a few times. I still have mine and use it but it gets me every once in a while. It also doesn't seem to be accurate. Maybe because the hook pops up slightly adding a 1/16"?

my funny story on the flatback. My contractor friend was in my shop cutting a few things. He grabbed it to make a measurement and had this dumbfound look on his face when it collapsed like a wet noodle. So it is good for messing with people.

Lufkin for work and Festool at home.

Fatmax 16' everyday.

I have used many brands over the past 35 years. The old stanleys were great. I found these a few years ago and they are amazing.
    http://toolguyd.com/big-johnson-power-tape-measure/

I have 12 foot, 16 foot, and 25 foot...joe

Festool - lighter and smaller than most, accurate and can measure in different ways (inside of a drawer box for example) and can be used to draw curves and circles. For longer distances I prefer a laser measure as they are easier and more accurate/repeatable

I generally use Lufkin - the markings are clear and precise and the numbering is in intuitive for me. I use an 8 metre with a 25mm wide blade. The wide blade is essential for long cantilever when measuring hard to reach areas. I use the same tape both on site and in the shop. However, I also have a range of steel and aluminium rules 150mm up to 2000mm for shop work. Small and light never works for me but then I have hands that I have trouble finding gloves to fit. I have never had problems with accuracy of markings - drop it and yes, expect to panel beat the tip but markings have always been perfect. However, I never buy cheap. The tape is too critical to skimp on. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Looks like these have been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I have used many brands over the past 35 years. The old stanleys were great. I found these a few years ago and they are amazing.
    http://toolguyd.com/big-johnson-power-tape-measure/

I have 12 foot, 16 foot, and 25 foot...joe

Aldi. Got it for $2 when I ordered my $7 chisels a few mos back.

I have a couple 8m Lee Valley metric tapes (nice because the markings are large as there's no Imperial markings) and a couple of their 10' cabinetmakers tapes in the "left hand" version (when held in the left hand the numbers are right side up). I find that tape very handy for cutting where the good piece is on the right..........Rod.