Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final SketchUp attempt

Final SketchUp attempt

For some unknown reason, I've decided on one last attempt to learn how to use SketchUp. All my previous attempts can best be described as marvelous failures. They even resulted in me cancelling at least one WW magazine subscription when the magazine seemed in my mind to switch primarily to SketchUp plans.

Long story short, my daughter and I are going to build a small trebuchet for a school project. I've found a rather simple SketchUp plan that seems to be an easy build, but I can't seem to figure out how to break the plan down into components to determine how to build. Were I to build from just looking at the diagram, we'd be halfway done. I find this very frustrating.

So, ultimately, my question is how does everybody use sketchup to find dimensions of the components and then create a process to build from?

thanks,
    John

I dont use SketchUp, but my understanding of how people do was that unless whoever drew the model took the time to layout all the pieces separately in a separate drawing making a "cut list drawing" the only way to build from the drawing was to take all or look at the measurements from withing the drawing itself to determine/make your own cut list.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

John,

If for some reason Dave Richards doesn't reply to this thread, don't hesitate to PM via his member name here at SMC. He's very generous with helping people with Sketchup. He's an all around nice guy too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've found Jay Bates' SketchUp videos and articles extremely helpful when it comes to learning how to use SketchUp for woodworking.

For example, he has one video where he draws a sofa table then shows how he breaks down the parts and lays them out on the dimensional lumber that he will be using for the project. The layout stuff starts at about the 13:00 mark but the entire video is definitely worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOBU2vtDvM

Another good one is his mission-style coat rack. Layout steps (including adding dimensions) start at about 8:22 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIkgqScb4sY
    Last edited by Garth Almgren; 04-28-2016 at 2:30 PM.
    ~Garth

The key to Sketch-up is to create Groups or Components. In this way, pieces are individualized and not 'stuck' to other pieces. This is likely where most of the frustration of beginners is with Sketch-Up.

I've learned from Dave Richards to use the Move tool A LOT. Start with a block and start to lay out lines and such of your project to bring out details like doors and individual parts like stiles and rails and even molding and such. Don't worry about the inside and joinery and such just yet. Just get the external stuff roughed out.

To create the actual individualized parts, you need to select just that part, click Move, and click Ctrl and copy that part out from the drawing to separate it. This will now allow you to further refine it AND make it a component. What is cool is that as you work on this part disconnected from your block, the part on the block will take on the properties of the disconnected part. Once you are done, delete the disconnected part and now your block has that part done and individualized and no longer 'stuck' to the geometry of its surrounding part. Keep doing this and your block now becomes a bunch of individualized pieces.

Some of the keys are learning HOW to select what you need. One click selects a line, two clicks selects a face, 3 clicks selects the whole piece.

Dave does have a small tutorial available for purchase and I must tell you that it is worth EVERY penny. He goes very nicely through a whole example.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

As Ben said, it depends on whether or not the model has the jointery (etc) details included. Sketchup doesn't make "plans" - it makes "models". If you showed us a photograph of a house and asked how to build it, the answer would be, "You can't build a house if all you have is a photo of its outside". Likewise, the Sketchup model you have may be nothing more than a 3D drawing of the outside faces - breaking that into a cutlist is going to be really hard. Easier than a photo, because you can spin the model around and use the measurement tools easily and add/remove "pieces", but there is no magic button to press that says, "Turn this drawing into construction plans".

I use Autocad at work every day and Sketchup makes me want to pull my hair out. Since WW is not for work I avoid using autocad for it and have been in the same boat as you in terms of learning curve. I would at the very least learn to dimension and then get that model and dimension and print from a bunch of different views and that will help you build. The groups & components are a huge key and once I started using them (at Dave's recommendation) they helped a lot.

Daniel

Throw Sketchup to the wind and use Onshape or Fusion 360, both are powerful 3D CAD systems and are free for the hobby or casual user. I have been using Alibre for over 5 years now (It's called Geomagic now) and it's getting to be "old" but still does 99% of what I need, it was $200 at the time. Onshape is one I have been involved in the beta testing since it came out and it's pretty potent and continuously evolving. I think Fusion 360 is a bit ahead of Onshape because it has not only CAD, but an integrated CAM side that given it's free, is pretty handy for any of us using CNC equipment.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    I've found Jay Bates' SketchUp videos and articles extremely helpful when it comes to learning how to use SketchUp for woodworking.
    Agreed. His videos are great. I absolutely love SketchUp. It is extremely helpful with measurements, especially if strange angles are involved. Here is my first woodworking project, made from construction cedar lamber, based on things I learned from Jay: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...5-6b27a74745e3

As Chris mentioned, it is critical to understand groups or components. There is a little bit of a learning curve but then it is easy.

SketchUp fan here. To learn it you need to follow someone's tutorial. I bought Tim Killen's e-book through FWW, but Dave Richards has since come out with a DVD that might be as good/better. Trying to figure it out by myself was nothing but heartache; after I got Killen's book it was straightforward and fast. In less than 4 hours I knew enough to be able to do real work with it. I'd never draw by hand anymore, nor with the 2D CAD I used in my corporate life.

There are all kinds of plugins for SketchUp; I just found one that draws your complete cabinet for you after inputting data into the fields. It even renders it in the wood type of your choice. You can draw a kitchen's worth of cabinets in an hour! SketchUp also has a 3D Warehouse where you can find all kinds of components that you can download directly into your model. Think kitchen appliances, handles, TV', toilet or sink, even complete drawings of a piece of furniture.

All for free.

John

Joe Zeh has on online course called sketchup for woodworking (or something like that). *Highly* recommend. He is a woodworker and teaches a solid approach for building a sketchup model that will feel natural to any woodworker. And he teaches a simple strategy for components and layers. He has a slide in the handouts titled 6 rules for Sketchup that if followed will eliminate 95% of confusion and stupid errors.

I also dislike sketchup. I beleve that as its name implies it was designed for doing sketchs, not dimensioned drawings. If you're just using it to get a feel for how something might look, then it works well. However if you want to create dimensioned drawings for actually creating the parts, a real CAD software will work much better. Sketchup uses a completely different methodology than any other CAD software used by a professional engineer. Its quite likely that you will find the methodology used by those CAD programs far easier to understand and use. There are a few free ones out there, Fusion 360 is my favorite.

Keep in mind that there is still a learning curve, it just may be easier to wrap your head around.

As a 20+ year daily AutoCAD user, I've also struggled with Sketchup. Mainly, because I didn't want to spend the time to learn something, when I could already do it just as fast in AutoCAD.
    Since I can't afford AutoCAD at home, I've been working with Fusion 360 for the last few months. Coming from AutoCAD, it's also a difficult learning curve, because it's different.

For someone with no CAD experience at all, I would think that Fusion 360 has a steeper learning curve. But it's vastly more powerful than Sketchup, which I don't even consider to be a "real" CAD program.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I'm a huge fan of SketchUp. (Full disclosure, I use it professionally, write about it and teach it). It isn't the easiest piece of software to learn, but it is well worth the time and effort it takes. It is quite different from traditional CAD programs and there are common hurdles that most new users struggle with. Part of that is understanding the behavior of the stuff you make on screen, part of it is becoming aware of what you see and what your hand is doing on the mouse buttons, and part of it is rewiring your brain and hand/eye coordination. I've taught hundreds of people (thousands if you count readers of my books) and if you stick with it, the light bulb clicks on with a little bit of practice. From that point on modeling is fast and easy.

The advantages of modeling over other forms of planning/designing/engineering are these: you can pretend you're building the thing; I usually make parts that defined the outside dimensions of something first, then make all the parts that go in between by snapping between those points-I don't need to interrupt the process to calculate sizes and I don't suffer the consequences of mathematical errors. I can see (and show someone else) what the thing will look like from any angle, as I work and when I'm finished. After the model is completed, I can extract any information I want from the model; any form of orthographic or perspective drawing, or a precise list of part sizes on a spreadsheet.

I was trained to draw on a board and used AutoCAD in the woodworking industry for many years. SketchUp is faster and just as precise as any other method, and I routinely catch things while building a model that wouldn't be noticed until I got to the shop with previous methods. If you want to make life easier in the shop, learn to use SketchUp.

Bob Lang

Blog Entries
    I have SketchUp and two versions of AutoCad. I use SketchUp for 3d modeling.

If I want to make a sketch, because of 25 years experience, I will go to AutoCad. The only reason is I intuitively do things in AutoCad that I have to flounder a bit in Sketchup.

I think SetchUp is well worth the investment (available free) and don't understand why someone would not want to spend the time and learn it. Bob Lang has instruction videos you should get.

I have them, the price is a bargain.

OBTW, for the record, my AutoCad programs are legal. I purchased both of them.