Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing a euro combo. Need some help

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Erik, does Minimax make a saw competitive to the K3 winner? Too late for me, but others will want to know.
    The K3 ranges from $6K to $9K. Minimax's SC 2 Classic (short throw 5.5') and SC 4 Elite are available in the USA and are comparably priced.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Erik, does Minimax make a saw competitive to the K3 winner? Too late for me, but others will want to know.

What Mark M. said, above. ^^^^

One comment I hear pretty often is that folks did not realize how much this or that brand cost, by the time they optioned it up to what they really wanted. And that's for a number of brands. For example, I recently priced out the "industrial" version of everyone's favorite cabinet saw with the blade stopping technology and tried to spec it out as a Minimax SC2 Classic would be configured. To my surprise, the price was not much different. Now, I'm not saying one is better than the other but I am saying that for a long time, folks have thought sliders were too expensive but perhaps that is not so much the case any longer.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

When I was on the market, Hammer lines were cheaper than Minimax with a relatively large discount.
    I thought the price-wise, Hammer < MM < Felder was the way they put themselves in the market.
    I bought a Hammer mostly based on the fact that I live near Delaware, but the price was also a big issue.
    I looked at the Hammer website today and found that they no longer carry discounts. As Mark said, the basic K3 starts from $6K. They used to start where SS/Powermatic end but now it is almost $2K higher.

I have been communicating with Felder frequently for catalog purchase (blades, tooling, etc). They have been treating me very well, but clearly they are having very strong sales and they are getting stretched out. I believe the deep discount they were carrying was for those in-stock or relatively fixed configurations. I wonder if they no longer have inventory in US and Austria such that all orders are now purely order-based. That's my guess.

One thing Felder is doing much better than MM is their website. They are clear, informative, and educational with nice videos. Parts and tooling can be found and purchased online. Erik told us SCM/MM renewed the web but now it is more confusing than ever....

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    ar, informative, and educational with nice videos. Parts and tooling can be found and purchased online. Erik told us SCM/MM renewed the web but now it is more confusing than ever....
    Erik's own site helps make up for that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Susumu, the discounts are still there - you do have to register with the Felder e-shop to see them where there is a page of specials, with discounted K3, Bandsaws etc. The basic K3 Winner which is normally $5.6k is selling for $3.8k. Also, they have significant discounts on the C3 Comfort package right now due to the anniversary.
    In terms of inventory, having just been through the sales cycle myself, from my experience in the Hammer line the K3, bandsaw and jointer planer are kept in inventory but others tend to be order based

Minimax Classic 300 very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Susumu, the discounts are still there - you do have to register with the Felder e-shop to see them where there is a page of specials, with discounted K3, Bandsaws etc. The basic K3 Winner which is normally $5.6k is selling for $3.8k. Also, they have significant discounts on the C3 Comfort package right now due to the anniversary.
    In terms of inventory, having just been through the sales cycle myself, from my experience in the Hammer line the K3, bandsaw and jointer planer are kept in inventory but others tend to be order based
    I have owned a Minimax Classic 300 for 10 years. It's been a headache from the beginning. The Slider is good, I love the crosscut table, and the planer works well. But the fence on the saw is useless, and I'm tired of the dust despite the machine being connected to an Oneida. Support from Minimax is non-existant. I regret my purchase every time I walk into the shop.

I've owned a Minimax Classic 300 for seven years. It was a hold-over model and a demo saw if I remember correctly. It is a great saw. Never any issues. The crosscut fence is excellent and always remains square. I rarely use the rip fence, but it is handy to have the option for both short and tall positions. The joiner/planer are fantastic. Erik has always been very helpful, from the sale to commissioning to parts. I have absolutely no regrets. I would do it again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dory Rice View Post
    I have owned a Minimax Classic 300 for 10 years. It's been a headache from the beginning. The Slider is good, I love the crosscut table, and the planer works well. But the fence on the saw is useless, and I'm tired of the dust despite the machine being connected to an Oneida. Support from Minimax is non-existant. I regret my purchase every time I walk into the shop.
    Dory, who did you buy your CU300 from? Minimax USA or an SCM Group dealer?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Dory, who did you buy your CU300 from? Minimax USA or an SCM Group dealer?

Erik
    Erik, we bought our combo machine from Minimax USA when they were still based in Austin, Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dory Rice View Post
    Erik, we bought our combo machine from Minimax USA when they were still based in Austin, Texas.
    Do you remember the name of your sales guy? I'm one of the original MM USA reps and even if you didn't buy it from me, still try to help if I can. Minimax USA was absorbed back into SCM Group NA in 2008 but I would have been there when you bought your machine. For the record, the same phone number that Minimax USA used since 2001 (866-975-9663) STILL will direct any customer to SCM Group's switchboard in Duluth, where you can reach service or parts.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep