Thread: Building FF Upper Cabinets

Building FF Upper Cabinets

Thoughts on 1/2" or 3/4" ply for FF uppers? I'm thinking 1/2" due to weight. I'm assuming they should be sturdy enough.

Comments?

I'm thinking it will depend on how you build them. I would think 1/2" would be strong enough, however I built mine with 3/4" using the Somerfield tongue and groove method. I also don't think the added weight is much of an issue. I used pre-finished ply where I could, not sure that is readily available in 1/2".
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Lot of variables to discuss, but in general, if you are talking plywood boxes, stick with 3/4". 1/2" for backs. Some shops use 3/4" backs just so they dont have to stock the 1/2".

I use 3/4 ply for the top, bottom, and sides. The added thickness gives plenty of meat in the corners where the joinery is. I use 1/4" for the back. There's a nail rail at the top, either inside the box, or better yet outside, for cabinets that don't go to the ceiling. There's no reason for thicker material on the back. The spray finish goes on before the back gets stapled on the rear.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 04-29-2016 at 10:22 AM.

I build pretty much all of my cabinetry with 1/2" material. It's very strong and much lighter to work with and, in the case of uppers, hang. Less costly too, which can have substantial impact with some species of veneer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The joinery will be different for 1/2" carcasses. Upper kitchen cabinets are notoriously over loaded. When I built our cabinets, I lag screwed the uppers to 2X4's behind the sheet rock.
    I would have no issue with 1/2" material for bathroom cabinets. Also, there's not much structure in the face of kitchen cabinets. None of my cabinets ever fell, but I've known of some that did.
    It sure makes a mess.

I've had issues with 1/2" plywood flatness. Are you talking about painted cabinets? Half inch fir or pine plywood in 4X8 sheets is prone to being cupped. 3/4" cabinet plywood should be flat.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-30-2016 at 9:09 AM.

I use prefinished 1/2" for all my cabinets, including the backs. Works great.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I stumbled onto this thread while looking for something else.

I recently (6 months) became a driver/installer for Amish cabinet shops. There are 70 shops within 20 miles of my house; some with 20 - 40 employees.

They just about all use 1/2" for bottom & sides, and 1/4" for top & back. The strength of the box comes from the added framework. I know there is a 1"x1 1/2" screw rail at the top. Not sure what size the frame work at the bottom is.

I weigh about 250 lbs. I would not be the least bit afraid to stand on (if the ceiling wasn't in the way) an installed 30" 2 door cabinet made by these people.

I'll try to get some pics from a job next week.
    Last edited by David Freed; 04-30-2016 at 2:32 PM.

Around here, people use 3/4" for their cabinets, and 1/2" for their drawer boxes.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Around here, people use 3/4" for their cabinets, and 1/2" for their drawer boxes.
    Yep, here in Texas as well.