Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Habits

Blog Entries

Old Habits

While working with another woodworker on planing he noticed me tilting the square while checking the work. When asked it really didn't come to mind why I was doing this. Today while working in the shop I noticed when doing this the way my bench is set up with the lights it puts a shadow on the viewing side of the work highlighting the area between the work surface and the try square blade.

How many of these unthought of techniques are habits which we have forgotten yet still use?

I guess if we have forgotten them, we will never know the answer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim:

I once nicked my tongue as I absentmindedly pondered a drawing. Turns out it wasn't a pencil in my hand but a sharp marking knife. No repetition of that habit since.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    While working with another woodworker on planing he noticed me tilting the square while checking the work. When asked it really didn't come to mind why I was doing this. Today while working in the shop I noticed when doing this the way my bench is set up with the lights it puts a shadow on the viewing side of the work highlighting the area between the work surface and the try square blade.

How many of these unthought of techniques are habits which we have forgotten yet still use?

I guess if we have forgotten them, we will never know the answer.

jtk
    Well said Jim. My son noticed that I use a brush to clean the benchtop constantly. When asked why, I told him that I had managed to dent some pine before by having chips and debris on the benchtop. As you say, old habits.

When planing I brush my finger tips over the surface of the wood, doing this I can feel the undulations in the surface and then plane accordingly. Most of the time its a subconscious thing.

Matt

A machinist friend watched me drag a combination square along the edge of a board and proceeded to give me a scolding. Never drag a measuring tool it wears out the sharp edges he said. You can drag marking tools but not measuring tools. I have followed his advice for about 50 years now.
    Jim

Jim I just read this while on a break in the shop and just wanted to say that I also tilt my square while checking boards edges and faces. I think it's because I use a starrett (farely new) and when I tilt it the sharp aris that it sits on let's light through much better then if I just set the full edge of the sqaure on the board.
    Tyler

For a while now, I have been using metric scale to the point that I can barely use inches any more. When I finish a piece, I always stand back, look at it, and snap my fingers. It just gives me a nice little sense of completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Knights View Post
    When planing I brush my finger tips over the surface of the wood, doing this I can feel the undulations in the surface and then plane accordingly. Most of the time its a subconscious thing.

Matt
    I am very much a novice Neander, and have already developed that habit.

Not to start a war, but I ALWAYS lay my plane in use at the time on its side rather than the sole. Just the way I was tough MANY years ago. Habit? Yep. Can't help it, and it drives me nuts to see someone doing otherwise.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

If using a tape I always lay a square over the top of it on the mark I want to eliminate parallax error.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Not to start a war, but I ALWAYS lay my plane in use at the time on its side rather than the sole. Just the way I was tough MANY years ago. Habit? Yep. Can't help it, and it drives me nuts to see someone doing otherwise.
    Bill
    I also do this with my planes. I try to remember to lay my chisels on the bench with the bevel down. Too many nicks in the bench top from laying them down with the blade to the bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Bill
    Just because I feel like it, I don't want to rest my bench plane on its sole, but as a novice I frequently space out and try to lay it upside down before remembering that it's the sides that are flat. Doh!

Some machinist's squares have beams with "V" shaped edges. This is designed to make more of a fine line of contact with the work,enabling light to have the maximum opportunity to show under the edge.

By the way: You can see .0001"(a TEN THOUSANDTH) of an inch of light under a square or other accurate,truly straight edge. I have a few machinist's straight edges that are highly precision,and have their surface contact edge ground into a sharp V shape. They are thick in their bodies,hardened,and obviously precision ground to a near mirror surface texture where they are made to come in contact with work being checked for straightness or flatness.

If I tilt my square,I don't tilt it much. If I can hold the workpiece where I can see "straight across under the square",I don't tilt it at all. This would apply to relatively small metal parts I am making.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-03-2016 at 8:14 AM.

Bill
    I did this at first, but I've become very strongly against this practice. Well, I guess it's fine if it works for some, but I had problems with it.

Why?

Well, believe it or not, I find I nick up and damage my plane irons when I did. I'm always moving tools around on my bench, and if my plane's sole is exposed, it will inevitably hit another tool.

I switched to always putting my plane sole down and haven't had a problem. I'm far more conscious of where I am placing my plane than I am of what might just happen to come near it by happen stance, so having the sole against my wooden benchtop protects it. I already have a habit of looking where I place it, so I've never inadvertently placed it down onto any kind of tool or metal surface. As a result, I never find my plane with nicks or dents in the iron from sitting around now, whereas, I assure you, if I leave it on its side with the blade exposed, I will.

But, that's just what works for me! And really, that's what's important. So, if the lay it on its side method works for you, then good! You might have different habits, ways of working, and might be more or less conscious of things that I am/am not, hence different results!

I am trying to get in the habit of laying my chisels with the bevel up, though!
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 05-03-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    I am trying to get in the habit of laying my chisels with the bevel up, though!
    As one who has caused a nick or two in my bench this way I am curious to know why you prefer bevel up.

jtk