Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Custom Planes

Blog Entries

Veritas Custom Planes

Other than Derek's review, which actually turned out to be more of a general plane choosing pointers article, there has been very little posted about these planes. I am wondering why?

I bought a #4 recently and I am very happy with it. My main concern with the custom planes was weight. They seemed very heavy. As it turns out the #4 does not feel heavy during use to me at all. I ordered mine with a custom 42 degree frog, following Derek's lead. I am amazed at how well it cuts just about any grain. Sharpening is easier, set up and adjustment are easy. I have a new favorite #4, easier to use and works better.

I have a custom #4 and so far used it on several occasions and really like how it performs. I am mostly a power tool guy and use hand tools where it makes more sense than a power tool, so while not a heavy user, I thought it worked great for me. Love the PM-V11 iron. Lasts a long time...

I've got a #4 and a #5, love 'em.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Wish they would make a #3. Much prefer a 3 to a 4. Must be more difficult or a smaller market?

Rob Rob Rob, a #3 please!

From the pictures I have seen the whole assembly looks rather complex, even needing a special screwdriver. But from your reports guys, I understand it is all half as bad as it looks?

Hi Kees

It is not complex, just different. This involves a different screwdriver for the chipbreaker, otherwise it is business as usual here. The other difference is one that runs across the whole Veritas plane range - a Norris-type adjuster in place of the Bailey-type.

Above, the screwdriver I use, along with a small jeweller's hammer I use to make fine adjustments on Bailey and Veritas planes.

Beyond this, the planes work extremely well. I use a Custom #4 alongside a LN #3. Both are a delight.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-30-2016 at 9:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    From the pictures I have seen the whole assembly looks rather complex, even needing a special screwdriver. But from your reports guys, I understand it is all half as bad as it looks?
    No special screwdriver needed. It's your bog standard hex bit that comes with every screwdriver set nowadays. LV even supplies a simple one. The original brand name is the Allen key (now a proprietary eponym).
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Does anyone here can compare their standard plane with this newer custom plane? I've used the custom one a few times and I can't say that I was so good.

Lee Valley has a video of how they build a custom plane.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...30,41182,48944

Last edited by Tim Bridge; 04-30-2016 at 5:26 PM. Reason: Added video

Bravo Tim!

Blog Entries
    Derek,
    Thanks for posting about the 42 degree frog you ordered. I'm not sure I understand why but that angle seems to work very well, doing a large variety of jobs well. I was working end grain on a piece of Ash last night and the #4 seemed to perform as well as my LA Jack. It may have been due to tuning or blade sharpness but I was impressed none the less. My #4 has a hollow ground, 30 degree, PM-V11 blade with a slight camber. It isn't leaving any tracks that I can see, which is good enough for me.

I like the Norris adjusting mech. on the Custom planes. It seems just a little tighter than those on the BU planes I have. Dialing in blade position is the easiest and most accurate I have found yet. My older planes often take several rotations of the depth wheel before any progress is made, then response can be erratic. I wonder if anyone has tried the new "Slow" Norris adjuster? I am happy with what comes on the plane, I like the fast adjusting speed, although I can see how someone use to a Stanley type adjuster might have a hard time with it.

I have the wide knob and classic handle on my #4. I am finding that these options allow me to hold and use the plane in a greater variety of ways. I can adjust pressure or lift the plane with the wider knob better. I like gripping over the top of the knob rather than around the side as it helps with adding & removing pressure and balance. The "Classic" handle/tote on these custom bodies seems rather unique to me too. There is a little more room below the handle on the plane body, even on the #4 body, for my little finger. This means I can either grip with all four fingers on the tote for more steering or go low with three fingers on the handle and one on the base for lower base pressure. YMMV

I have been thinking about ordering a Custom #5. I use my #5 more than any other plane. I like my Stanley #5 but I have more trouble adjusting it. I had been considering the #5 as a coarse/rough plane where fine adjustment might not matter. The more work I do with my #5 the more I find myself adjusting it more than my other planes. Working with a highly cambered blade often requires more adjustment and more precise adjustment, depending on: the exact work, hardness of the wood, type grain, how much and what part of the blade I can/want to use...Now I am thinking that the Jack may benefit the most from more and faster adjustability, especially the way I use it. The additional weight of the Custom plane might help too.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-30-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    It uses standard (English) hex keys. They ship one with the plane as a courtesy, but there's nothing special involved.

The only part of the plane that's more complex than their previous iteration (or most others out there) is the use of a specialized nut to attach the blade to the cap iron. They did that for 2 reasons: First, the adjuster registers to the nut instead of to the cap iron, which means that the plane can be used in a single-iron configuration. Second, the nut can be left on the blade during honing, which potentially avoids the need to re-adjust (though I always end up removing the nut...).

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    No special screwdriver needed. It's your bog standard hex bit that comes with every screwdriver set nowadays. LV even supplies a simple one. The original brand name is the Allen key (now a proprietary eponym).
    It might be "special" for Kees inasmuch as he lives in metric-land and it's an SAE key.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    Does anyone here can compare their standard plane with this newer custom plane? I've used the custom one a few times and I can't say that I was so good.
    I have both in a couple sizes (4 and 4-1/2, set up differently though). IMO they work equally well when equally tuned.

From a price to performance perspective I would actually recommend the standard design. They're about $100 less IIRC, and the only things you give up are customizable blade angle and tote (the knob can still be customized if you're willing to do some work). I think that the mouth adjustment on the standard planes is particularly clever, in that it:

1. Provides decoupled mouth/depth adjustment (bedrocks incl L-N can't do this)
    2. Supports the blade all the way to the sole at all mouth settings (no Stanley or derived plane, bedrock or bailey, does this)
    3. Has a solid toe in front of the mouth, which ensures that the leading edge of the mouth presses on the wood without depending on a multi-part tolerance stack (the custom planes don't do this)

The custom planes overcome (3) via precision machining - the tolerance stackup through the sole and movable toe is small enough that it isn't a practical issue, though it may account for a bit of the added cost.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-30-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Good to hear that the planes are easy to use. I posted about my impression from the pictures which had me scratching my head. In reality it is probably all pretty obvious.

If I dig deep in my piles of stuff I can probably find some SAE hex drivers. But those are not easy to find outside the USA.