Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Workbench Finally Done

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    The only thing I'd change is to add a sliding deadman, (and maybe a perforated grate in the bottom of the tool tray) otherwise, that's workbench nirvana for me.
    I debated this which would have meant an re-design of the base, but two things convinced me to keep with the traditional design: 1) It would have meant buying more lumber which is a bit of a pain for me where I'm located and 2) the adjustable bench slave (I have yet to build) is quite useful for supporting not only long boards, but also drawers or anything you want to clamp in the tail vise.

I actually went through several other iterations and re-designs relating to the vises, but in the end stuck with the original.
    Glad I did. The more I use this bench, the more I like it.

For anyone considering the build, I might rethink the tool tray, or at least some type of cover for it. Also, a little trap door clean out.

Robert that bench is very well done. As time goes by and you work on it I'm sure you will be very pleased. Many years ago I had the pleasure of working on a bench of similar design. It was old when I worked on it and wanted one for myself. Life and power tools got in the way. In my opinion it is the best design ever for furniture making. In the rare case that you need something a little different for some task you will adapt.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    It looks like furniture. You will cry the first time it gets dinged, but then I'm probably the only one that does that.

Beautiful bench. I would consider moving it in the living room.

Wow! Wow! Wow! Just Wow! Ummm wanna build another one? Well - that is stunning Robert. What we all aspire tro. Just gorgeous work, design, wood contrast, everything is first rate. Be proud - be very proud.

Joe

Somebody asked about the bench slave, I think:

Bench Slave.jpg

Nice bench. That looks like time well spent.

Amazing! That will last for many decades.

Absolutely gorgeous!

Are you aware that you will put dings and scars in it when you start to make your next project or do you plan on a "Tommy Mac" and cover it with plywood every time you are going to work on it?

I have started (just barely) building a workbench and you said you might relate some of your experience and mistakes...I'm interested. Since I am new to this I would love to hear more...specifically the steps. I am trying to decide if I should try to hand cut dovetails in the apron - I can't quite work out how to cut the dovetails in the side aprons as they are long and I don't have a work bench to stand on.

That's a beautiful piece of furniture. It's a pity you may have to ding it up a bit.

A truly beautiful bench!!! Good job...
    Jerry