Thread: Corel & cutting in arcs instead of a smooth circle?

Corel & cutting in arcs instead of a smooth circle?

What am I not doing when I cut .ai files for one particular customer, it steps around the cuts in arcs instead of circles?
    355 - 10400 : )

Try pulling up the 'shape' tool in Corel and looking at the curves in question: I suspect you'll find many more nodes than necessary, due to either Adobe's export or Corel's import.
    The 'reduce nodes' button should clear that up.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Ironically enough, I ran into this just the other day, with my own artwork no less. I was cutting these out on the Explorer, and rather than a nice smooth cut path, it was cutting in stop n' go 'chunks'- A check of the shape shows a zillion nodes, and the machine slows down (or stops) briefly at each one. FWIW my LS900 ignores nodes like this, always cuts very smoothly. This is a several-years-old file that I ran on the Explorer for the first time.

Anyway-- what to do? No matter what I try, I can't find a way reduce the nodes. As you can see, the option doesn't exist, it's grayed out. I've tried exporting and re-importing as EPS and DXF files, and even though the DXF has the 'automatically reduce nodes' option on import, it doesn't change.

This is easy enough to fix, which I did- just re-draw the circles, add the notch and weld it, then copy & paste what I need-- But what about complex shapes containing arcs and radii that would be much harder to simply do-over? You CAN simply group and delete nodes, but then the shape changes. I'm using X4 btw...

Because the LS900 doesn't have a 'chunk' problem, I've never noticed it, but now that the Explorer is sharing it's duties, I'd LOVE to find a fix for this! And the chunking-cut isn't just an anomaly to watch as the machine cuts, the finished pieces look like crap, they're just as bumpy as the pic...

Last edited by Kev Williams; 05-01-2016 at 3:10 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

? don't the nodes go away if you group all
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Anyway-- what to do? No matter what I try, I can't find a way reduce the nodes. As you can see, the option doesn't exist, it's grayed out.
    That's (IMHO) a long-standing Corel bug: even though you have shape tool active and the object selected, it will only run the reduction algorithm on selected nodes, and if none are selected, the 'reduce nodes' button isn't enabled.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 05-01-2016 at 4:27 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Bert, if you group all you only loose visibility of actual nodes but they are still there on each object.

Kev, I would use smart fill tool than delete original circles to simplify minimize node count.
    If you know spacing in x & y of each do one than duplicate as many as you need but you will first need to select all text and move to another layer or move out of page with nudge offset.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

ah ha OK I just notice when I group stuff the nodes disappear, the dodn't give me any trouble cutting at least not so far LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Bert, if you group all you only loose visibility of actual nodes but they are still there on each object.

Kev, I would use smart fill tool than delete original circles to simplify minimize node count.
    If you know spacing in x & y of each do one than duplicate as many as you need but you will first need to select all text and move to another layer or move out of page with nudge offset.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

yep, lasso/drag select the nodes and then the reduce button should work.

AHHHhh... Just boxed the whole bunch and about 2/3 of 'em are gone-- found also if I CAREFULLY slide the 'curve smoothness' bar to the right (like 1 billionth of an inch) It'll take it down to 2 or 3 nodes with no distortion...

Very nice, thanks all!

By the way- I did the smart fill and the other outline tool, both essentially make an exact node-for-node copy...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Why not create a new circle of the same size? A new elipse has only one node.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, that's what I did when doing the job in the pic, rather than fight it I just re-made the circles. It's just nice to know the fix when something more complicated than circles is affected!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter