Thread: Three firsts

Three firsts

IMG_0390 (Copy).JPGIMG_0399 (Copy).JPGIMG_0403 (Copy).JPGIMG_0401 (Copy).JPGIMG_0405 (Copy).JPGIMG_0404 (Copy).JPGFirst three winged box, first hollow form, first winged bowl. The winged items are birds eye and the hollow form is a maple burl.

Pretty sweet Robert. A lot of air in that burl.....bet that was fun turning but I like your 4 pointed birdseye piece the best. Very beautiful piece of timber.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks David, the 4 point box was actually a piece left over from stock I had for a set of S & P Mills. It was more difficult to turn than I bargained for, but that's birds eye. The birds eye measures 6"X 6" X 3". I had a problem deciding which side to use, but my favorite side of the bowl reminds me of a water fall which are eyes that travers the thickness of the wood.

Nice work Robert

Thanks all for your comments or lack of same. I posted this on a Router Forum and got 20 comments.

Sorry for the lack of comments. Just seeing this myself. Very nice work! Beautiful use of the figured wood. I would like to try a winged bowl some time. How was sanding it?

Doug

Great 3 firsts. All look very good. The hollow form looks like you found a good place to stop and avoid the "shatter" of going too thin with the big void and top cracks. The little 3 sided box and finial also catch the eye. Look forward to seeing seconds plus.

Wow very nice!!
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Doug

I have started to use Abranet 8" long sanding sheets with a foam backer such as a 3M pad (I use the back side) and held at the right angle work will. The Abranet sheets seem to last forever.

Very nice work Robert! Love the birdseye and that Burl had to be difficult.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I have those same Abranet sheets and I'm a big fan. I do need to pick up a foam backing pad. I'm sure that would help in many situations.

Doug

Very nice!!

I't moving

In the first picture of the burl there is an open crack close to the opening and now it is actually overlapping. I thought it was dry but I guess not.