Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a sliding miter saw

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio

Looking for a sliding miter saw

I'm thinking of adding a sliding miter saw. Something that could handle 12/4 hardwood.

I want something accurate and not junk. But at the same time I don't want to have to mortgage the house!

Check out the 12" Bosch glide. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004323NNC/...l_41zftde2et_b

It doesn't take up a lot of space behind the saw like most sliders do. I've played with it in person and the glide on that thing is butter smooth.

This topic comes up fairly often and youll get positives and negatives on nearly every saw out there. From my research the three most popular are the Bosch Glider, the DeWalt Slider and the ever insanely priced Festool Kapex. I personally own and like very much the DeWalt DWS780 Type 2. Been great for me though it is huge and heavy and needs a lot of space behind it since it has the rail arms that protrude out of the back unlike the Kapex and Bosch. Whichever you go with I use and highly recommend a Forrest ChopMaster blade for it. It was defininitely a worthwhile upgrade for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    This topic comes up fairly often and youll get positives and negatives on nearly every saw out there. From my research the three most popular are the Bosch Glider, the DeWalt Slider and the ever insanely priced Festool Kapex. I personally own and like very much the DeWalt DWS780 Type 2. Been great for me though it is huge and heavy and needs a lot of space behind it since it has the rail arms that protrude out of the back unlike the Kapex and Bosch. Whichever you go with I use and highly recommend a Forrest ChopMaster blade for it. It was defininitely a worthwhile upgrade for me.
    I also have the Chopmaster blade on my Dewalt 780 and will agree it's an amazing blade. I've been looking at changing out my miter saw the last few weeks, main reason is my dewalt takes up a lot of space behind the saw. I looked at the bosch for the longest time but finally decided to go with the Festool Kapex.

I have the Bosch glide and really like it. My choices were mostly limited to the Bosch or a non-slider because of bench depth with a cement wall behind it. Festool is out of my price range.

Be sure to check the reviews on the Bosch to decide for yourself because there are a few complaints about the table not being square or flat. I believe that it is something that can be adjusted out, but have not needed to try it.

Steve

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio
    I'm leaning toward the Bosch because of space, I have a small shop, but at the same time I need something that is very accurate.

I think it depends on your expected usage. For hobby or home use most any of the major brands will work fine with a decent blade and occasional calibration. For professional trim use I can't see why anyone wouldn't want a Kapex. It's just orders of magnitude better than it's competition. It holds it's calibration while being moved daily and through all the St. Louis season's temperature changes, and it's laser is the only one I've used that replaced a kerfed cutting bed for accuracy.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I have the Bosch glide and really like it. My choices were mostly limited to the Bosch or a non-slider because of bench depth with a cement wall behind it. Festool is out of my price range.

Be sure to check the reviews on the Bosch to decide for yourself because there are a few complaints about the table not being square or flat. I believe that it is something that can be adjusted out, but have not needed to try it.

Steve
    How is the dust collection on the Bosch, as dismal as everyone else?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    How is the dust collection on the Bosch, as dismal as everyone else?
    Same question from me. From what I've read, the Bosch is the worst for dust collection (Dewalt being the best of the non-Kapex field). How true is that?

I can't say for the Bosch but the dust collection on my Dewalt 12" slider isn't too great.. It's hooked up to a shop vac using a 36mm hose with the fitting over the dust port and I'd say about 45% of the dust goes everywhere but the dust port.

Yea I wouldnt call dust collection on my DWS780 great. About the only miter saw on the market with anything close to good dust collection from what Ive read is the Kapex, but for the extra $1000 it cost over my DWS780 Ill build a dusthood and buy another tool with that $1000 instead. Or just crosscut on the table saw.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The Kapex is far from perfect at dust collection but much better than others I've used. Another thing make many 'nervous' about the Kapex is the complaint by some having to replace arbors in and out of warranty. Festool is looking into the matter but nothing publically has come out on the matter other than corporate speak.

Over at the FOG there is much discussion on the matter, my Kapex has survived for quite a while but I don't use it exclusively as I have two other saws that rotate depending on the job.

Most any top of the line unit from name brands like Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Metabo, Hitachi and the like can be setup to be accurate.... just need to get to know the saw, maintain it and keep decent blades on it.

I would check out the hitachi 12" slider, it takes up less room, as you can have it slide forward on the rails or back like the dewalts. I put a different blade on when I first set up, and my cuts are extremely accurate. Last time I looked, I believe lowes had for $399.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I bought the Bosch glider as replacement for my Bosch slider which mysteriously ended up in my son's truck. Home Depot had it for $799 cdn but they matched the lowest local competitors price minus 10% of the difference which brought it down to under $500 cdn.
    To answer your question though, I would cross cut anything with it except picture frames. Might as well get the stand with it unless you're planning never to move it.

Another vote on the Bosch Glider.
    I use the 10" axial glide, and have been for the last 3 yrs. It replaced my tried and true 12" DW705 (non slider)

Its a HEAVY saw, and dc stinks, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.