Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your advice on a large chisel purchase

The price is too high.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Jim, he is saying HE won't break up set (altho I asked him again today to do so)..he doesn't care what I do with them..some of them might be a re-sell in my view. Thats simply too many chisels to add to my assortment.
    I don't see a lot of use for skew chisels for me . We'll see.
    He likely knows that once the Stanley set is gone there will be little interest in the others.

It seems he is also looking to get the high ebay retail price.

Time is your friend.

Both of my main sets of Witherby and Buck Brothers chisels have been put together one or two at a time.

I have had and still have some of the Stanley 750 chisels. Not being a collector I would just as soon sell them to someone who thinks they are worth a whole lot of money.

Of all my chisels the original handles on Buck Brothers chisels feel best in my hands. I like my shop made handles but the Buck Bros design is one that I have copied (poorly at best) for replacement handles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hmmmmm. I'll be talking to him this evening..Plan to make a "low" offer and if not accepted, walk..
    Jerry

Negotiations underway..Should resolve by later today. Offerred $100 under ask price for whole lot or $150 for all 11 Stanley 750's...We shall see..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a set of over 25 used chisel from a retiring woodworker...He does not want to break up the assortment/set.

It contains 10 Stanley Sweetheart bench chisels
    4 Woodriver bench chisels
    4 woodriver Butt chisels
    4 Two Cherries skew chisels
    1 Mallet
    1 awl
    2 screwdrivers.

I am concerned about the Woodriver groups and not certain about the Stanleys (some good, some fair depending on year etc)...Of course the 2 cherries are attractive but uncertain about the total lot. The ask price for the group is a little over $300. I know these are not Ashley Isles or Blue Spruce but still interest me..What should I be cautious about, any pitfalls, hints and your general advice would be very helpful...Thanks in advance.
    Jerry
    I have a set of wood river chisels, I keep them at work for cutting hinge mortices in doors and making quick repairs in the plywood and red oak dorm furniture i am called on so often to repair. They are decently balanced and hold a good edge, but nowhere in the same league as my Lie Nielsons.

Stanley sweetheart are nice, I have a couple, but they pretty much stay on the chisel rack and I find myself reaching for my Lie Nielsons or my Japanese chisels instead.

Depends on what you want....I find having fewer chisels and keeping them sharp and ready to go is working well for me. I have several specialty chisels I do not use often and the above mentioned Lie Nielsons and Japanese chisels that I use all of the time.

YMMV...for me....its a good deal, but I would think two or three really primo paring chisels from someone like Blue Spruce might be a better way to spend the cash...

But good luck, price seems fair, and if you can put them to work you will find they will work well for you.

Best regards,

Chris

You can easily purchase a set of 8 stanley sweet heart for $230 (Amazon). So, I would pass unless you knew for certain that you wanted exactly that set of chisels.

A set of the Lee Valley PM-V11 bench chisels, however, is over $500.... If he had those, $300 would be a steal.

Decision

I bought the 11 STANLEY Sweetheart 750's (set of 8 plus 3 extra of smaller ones) like new condition.. ( they are the "newer" version made 3-4 years ago. Seller bought at Woodcraft). Included were the 4 WR Butt chisels, the 2 Cherries set of skew chisels, and a new strop and compound..All in excellent condition and I thought a fair price under $200..Thanks for your help/guidance on this....Anxious to test/use...Now I'll have to build a new tool storage cabinet
    Jerry

Nicely done. Have fun.

Blog Entries
    Chisels can be a very personal item. Various types are designed to be used with various striking tools or for delicate hand work.

I tend to order small numbers of quite different styles of tools. At some point I may decide I like some specific type best and buy an entire set, but I doubt it. I like having a variety of different types: Japanese Usu-nomi for delicate hand work, Oire-nomi, Atsu-nomi & Mukomaiche-nomi for striking with genno, gouges made in Sweden especially for working green wood and carving...If I find I do not use specific chisels for a long time I can find new homes for a few "used" chisels easier than for a whole set.

Blog Entries
    I bought the 11 STANLEY Sweetheart 750's (set of 8 plus 3 extra of smaller ones) like new condition.. ( they are the "newer" version made 3-4 years ago.
    Even with them being the newer version it seems like a good deal. All this time I was thinking they were the SWs from the 1920s and '30s.

Modern day marketing can really make things confusing.

So are we going to see any pictures?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

response

Jim, I would have preferred the earlier ones but this is what they were. Overall, I liked the final package.
    I'm buying from a friend 2 states over and he is planning to ship today.
    Once I have them here, I'll proudly (I hope) post pictures.
    Thanks guys. You all helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Even with them being the newer version it seems like a good deal. All this time I was thinking they were the SWs from the 1920s and '30s.

Modern day marketing can really make things confusing.

So are we going to see any pictures?

jtk
    Jerry

The eagle landed....

Today, the package of chisels etc arrived today!!! I unpacked and laid on my bench..i've been asked for a picture ot two (to see if it really happened ).
    Here they are just unpacked:

OOps will have to resize..Give me few minutes.
    Jerry

Eagle II

Here are pics:

2016-05-11 14.02.20 (600 x 337).jpg2016-05-11 14.03.31 (600 x 337).jpg2016-05-11 14.04.23 (600 x 337).jpg

Just absorbing and trying to decide where to store and use...Perhaps, a new cabinet..Hmmmm. Oh well.
    Also have to learn and use properly the new strop. a new venture for me..
    Thanks
    Jerry

They look well cared for. Nice!

Blog Entries
    Oh wow, that's a nice set. If you want to replace the handles on those 750's, I have a bunch of rosewood handles I can sell you. I have heard very good things about the new 750's, and I like the butt chisels and the skew chisels you got as well. Very good find, and at a good price.