Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your advice on a large chisel purchase

Your advice on a large chisel purchase

I have an opportunity to buy a set of over 25 used chisel from a retiring woodworker...He does not want to break up the assortment/set.

It contains 10 Stanley Sweetheart bench chisels
    4 Woodriver bench chisels
    4 woodriver Butt chisels
    4 Two Cherries skew chisels
    1 Mallet
    1 awl
    2 screwdrivers.

I am concerned about the Woodriver groups and not certain about the Stanleys (some good, some fair depending on year etc)...Of course the 2 cherries are attractive but uncertain about the total lot. The ask price for the group is a little over $300. I know these are not Ashley Isles or Blue Spruce but still interest me..What should I be cautious about, any pitfalls, hints and your general advice would be very helpful...Thanks in advance.
    Jerry
    Jerry

I'd be cautious about buying so many chisels. I'd rather have a few excellent chisels than a bunch of mediocre ones. I know that's a glib answer, but do you really need the butt chisels or the skew chisels? And do you need 14 bench chisels?

For my $300, I'd be looking at one or two mortise chisels and 4 quality bench chisels.

But I suppose it depends what you want to do. For my dovetailing and M&T work, that's what I'd want.

There are other chisels at least as good as the Sweethearts out there for a low price, new.

Two cherries may be a good brand, but they're skew chisels.

Without seeing the condition of any of these, I would say that package is no real bargain unless the Stanley chisels are in exceptional condition, which you already say they are not. This is not the way I would spend $300. Nothing there in the 22 chisels listed could be termed "premium" quality. I would buy $300. of excellent chisels and pass the lot. By the way, there is no really good reason to keep those tools together and he undoubtedly knows that.

Not sure what your standards are like, but I was considering purchasing both the modern make stanley sweetheart bench chisels, and the woodriver butt chisels myself. From a beginner's perspective, they're pretty nice for the price. From the perspective of someone of someone who already has some really nice chisels, they might be just mediocre.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a modern-make set of Stanley Sweetheart chisels, or the Woodrivers. They both seem to have decent reviews, from what I've seen, but there are definitely higher quality chisels out there. Some people have minor qualms about the steel. But, I'd be quite happy with either/both. The question is, would you? What are you looking for in a set of chisels?

For $300 though, you can get much better chisels, granted, not as many. If you need a wide range of chisels for a decent price, or if you can possibly convince him to break them up, go for it. Otherwise, maybe talk him down, or buy a smaller set of chisels really good chisels instead.

Edit: I second Mike's thoughts here: There is no reason that he should not at least be willing to sell the individual sets (Stanleys, Woodrivers, or Two Cherries). Just explain that you really don't need X, and that it would be a waste of money for you to buy every chisel he's ever owned when you already own some yourself, but you may be interested in buying this or that set.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 05-02-2016 at 3:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of "it depends on... " here.

You say there are over 25 chisels but only list 22. If the 10 Stanley SweetHart chisels are in good condition and are socket chisels not, everlasting, tang or a new set, the bulk of the value may be there.

Is he making any buyer swear to never break up the set? I would consider the value of what I would want to sell compared to the total price.

The price may be fair, but it isn't in the range that would tempt me. If the Stanley chisels were all marked 750, then I might consider buying them to resell.

If the chisels are all rusty, dinged up and with broken or replacement handles, the collector value is gone.

Skew chisels can be handy when working on dovetails if they are paring chisels and not carving chisels. A small size like 1/4" is desirable.

He may not want to break up the lot since he knows the Stanley set is what people will want leaving him with the job of selling the others.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, you are right..I failed to list one CROWN 1 1/2" chisel and the CROWN mallet...There are 23 chisels and an awl and 2 Plane screwdrivers.. I suppose I meant 26 items in the package...
    Sorry and thanks..also agree with you on the STANLEYS 750's...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There are a lot of "it depends on... " here.

You say there are over 25 chisels but only list 22. If the 10 Stanley SweetHart chisels are in good condition and are socket chisels not, everlasting, tang or a new set, the bulk of the value may be there.

Is he making any buyer swear to never break up the set? I would consider the value of what I would want to sell compared to the total price.

The price may be fair, but it isn't in the range that would tempt me. If the Stanley chisels were all marked 750, then I might consider buying them to resell.

If the chisels are all rusty, dinged up and with broken or replacement handles, the collector value is gone.

Skew chisels can be handy when working on dovetails if they are paring chisels and not carving chisels. A small size like 1/4" is desirable.

He may not want to break up the lot since he knows the Stanley set is what people will want leaving him with the job of selling the others.

jtk
    Jerry

Sound advice above..As I read your responses, the package in total gets less attractive...I had forgotten the 2 cherries were skew chisels which would get considerably less use. Have to get more detail on the STANLEYS as then evaluate.Plan to talk further with the owner and discuss buying only the chisels I really want/need...THANK YOU for your comments and guidance..I'll continue to read this thread...Stay tuned.
    Jerry

Very good, sensible direction...Thanks Prashun

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I'd be cautious about buying so many chisels. I'd rather have a few excellent chisels than a bunch of mediocre ones. I know that's a glib answer, but do you really need the butt chisels or the skew chisels? And do you need 14 bench chisels?

For my $300, I'd be looking at one or two mortise chisels and 4 quality bench chisels.

But I suppose it depends what you want to do. For my dovetailing and M&T work, that's what I'd want.

There are other chisels at least as good as the Sweethearts out there for a low price, new.

Two cherries may be a good brand, but they're skew chisels.
    Jerry

Conscensus

Seems to be "not a great value" nor are these high quality chisels..Sage advice.
    I am reconsidering my interest in this offering..Thank you all. I'll let you know.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Always remember... If you do not ask for a lower price there are very few who will lower it for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jerry

If you are planning to spend $300, why not explore how you can do so buying new or used chisels of your choice. There is little value in purchasing duplicates of mediocre chisels. The collection you are considering are not a "set". The owner is just trying to sell them all as quickly as possible. Remember, the secret to buying well is to know the current market value. Do a little research before you discuss anything further with him.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I would not buy like that. I'd buy as required and buy the "value" of chisel I required as needed. Chisels are personal and very much married to the type of work that you do in my opinion. That being said if this deal moves you do it, you can break up the kit and sell off as you see fit. Wear being important of course, I could sell off plenty of short chisels if you know what I mean.

Good direction...

More good advice Chris, Derek.. I plan to slow down and rethink the deal..May even pass on it.
    And Jim, I agree with getting better price. As I used to teach my son: "If you don't ask, you don't get".Don't be bashful.
    Thanks to all...the deal is getting colder in my mind. We shall see.
    Jerry

Turns out the STANLEY 10 chisel set is the 750 series...Now negotiating with seller....My overall interest however is lessening. FYI. Thanks
    Jerry

For JIM

Jim, he is saying HE won't break up set (altho I asked him again today to do so)..he doesn't care what I do with them..some of them might be a re-sell in my view. Thats simply too many chisels to add to my assortment.
    I don't see a lot of use for skew chisels for me . We'll see.
    Jerry