Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a Starrett a Starrett?

fyi
    eD

L. S. Starrett Company
    (NYSE: SCX) is an American manufacturer of tools and instruments used by machinists and tool and die makers. The company was founded when businessman and inventor Laroy Sunderland Starrett (1836–1922) bought the Athol Machine Company in 1905. The company patented such items as the sliding combination square, bench vises, and a shoe hook fastener. They make precision steel rules and tapes, calipers, micrometers, and dial indicators, among many other things.

Starrett employs about 2,000 people worldwide and the company claims to be the last remaining full-line precision tool company to be manufacturing their products within the United States.[1] However, much of the firm's manufacturing takes place at facilities in the People's Republic of China, Brazil, Germany, and the UK, with 28% of Starret's worldwide sales being in Brazil in 2013.[2][3]

Prashun, Fine Woodworking completed reviews a few years back and highly recommended the PEC squares for folks not wanting to spend tons of money on Starrett squares. I purchased several squares made by PEC and couldn't be happier. They are made up north in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I'm not spending $90 on a square, unless my family gets me one for Father's Day.

I like to have a bunch of squares of different lengths and markings.

While I certainly appreciate the need for square and flat, the cheap ones have not failed me so far.
    I don't know Prashun, there is something about using a quality layout tool that I think you would really like. I have Mitutoyo in the shop adn I would have it no other way. I use cheaper stuff on site, and I always like coming back to the shop and my precision squares. I bought mine at yard sales used for about half.

I dropped $120 on a Starrett combo square about 2 years ago. I also have a set of made-in-India machinist squares and one Woodpecker square. I've tested the all of them for squareness, and they are all quite good. But I've never, not once, regretted buying that Starrett. Even though my eyes can't see any difference in accuracy between it and the others. I don't really know why - I don't believe I need aircraft industry accuracy for woodworking. But I trust that Starrett as my best measuring tool.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I bought a K53-8-N Starrett 8" carpenters square like this one.

1/2 way through a project, I discovered it was almost 1/32" out in 8".

Needless to say, I was surprised because I figured "hey its a Starrett."

I'm betting its made in China I don't know why reputable companies do this.

I guess I do need to but that Starrett sliding steel bevel after all.

Interesting to read how many different products they have that arent made in the USA. Every Starrett tool I have was bought in the last 1-2 years and they all say Made in the USA on them. I had read they were out sourcing some newer products and cheaper series but hadnt seen any of it myself so I figured it was a very small percentage. But from what some of you guys are saying it sounds like a bit more. Or perhaps that percentage is increasing. That would be sad indeed.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Starrett markets a line of tools called their "carpenters" line. They are made for woodworkers and are not the quality of their well know "machinist" line. That said, the "carpenter" line should be perfectly adequate for woodworkers. The machinist line tri-square sells new for about $85 dollars.
    Howie.........

I'm going to do it and report back.

I took the suggestion last month to look at the Harry Epstein website for the PEC squares. I bought a 6" double square delivered to the house for $22. The only blemish on it was a scratch. I checked it against my other squares including the my 12" Starrett combo square and it is right on. I felt it was a good deal.

I buy genuine Starretts on ebay. Sometimes used and sometimes new. I also like the Pecs.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I don't know Prashun, there is something about using a quality layout tool that I think you would really like. I have Mitutoyo in the shop adn I would have it no other way. I use cheaper stuff on site, and I always like coming back to the shop and my precision squares. I bought mine at yard sales used for about half.
    I couldn't agree more. I suppose it depends on how each person works, but I've come to rely on having a little Starrett 4" double square by my side. I use it as much for layout and marking as for checking square. The PEC version from HJE is only $14.00. Veritas makes what looks like a good one that is less than a new Starrett.

Not long ago on an impulse buy, I bought a Shinwa Japanese combination square from Amazon for about $18 or $20. Just like the Japanese saws, at first it was a trip, because it's so different in design and concept from the traditional squares, but now that I'm used to it, I've come to love it.

I too bought a Starrett 12-inch set and was so happy with it, I turned around and bought the 6- and 4-inch models and an 18-inch blade in pretty short order. Squareness is one thing to be sure but just as important to me is the blade being readable. I'm nowhere near blind but the peepers aren't what they used to be. I can read the markings on all four edges, even the 64ths. I've heard good things about the PEC squares but never laid hands or eyes on 'em. If I need a spare one day, I might just give one a try.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Pass on it.
    I ran across those at Hartville Hardware a couple years back - before they moved to the new store.
    I asked the sales guy to pull a good adjustable square out of the display case so we could check the trueness of the K53-8-N. We went through about 10 of them on the display peg and they were all so far out of square it was pathetic.

The sales guy was rather shocked they were that bad. He said he was going to talk to the manager about pulling them off the shelf.
    1/2 way into a project I discovered mine was almost 1/32 out in 8".
    Very surprised I thought since it was a Starrett it would be the most accurate square I have.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Amazon's got it for $10+. Starrett also make very reasonably priced metal self adhesive tapes. for quality and reasonable price I always seem to end up with PEC.
    I bought these tapes for a miter saw stand I am building. The tapes are not accurate throughout their length. Using a machined Woodpeckers ruler, I found that the distance between 1' and 2' was not the same as between the 2' and 3' (off by more than 1/32").....I wasted my money and will now have to replace with something else.
    I guess Starrett has gone the way of so many American tool manufacturers....