Thread: Suggestions on Laser engraved Gift?

Suggestions on Laser engraved Gift?

My over achieving wonderful granddaughter is graduating from High School this month. Besides giving her money to buy the Apple MacBook computer she wants I would like to give her a laser personalized something like a necklace, bracelet, nice I don't mine spending a little cash. Suggestions? I have Cermark or Thermark and a ULS 50 watt laser.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Why not personalize the MacBook?

How about a nice wood box where she can keep mementos or bracelets in it for the next 60 years? Perhaps just engrave her first name on it so if she marries and changes her name, the box won't become outdated.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I like Gary's idea, engrave the MacBook.
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Plus 1 on a box. I made boxes for my daughter and granddaughter and they love them

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    How about a nice wood box where she can keep mementos or bracelets in it for the next 60 years? Perhaps just engrave her first name on it so if she marries and changes her name, the box won't become outdated.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. I like the box idea but might go a step further. I assume she will go off to school or to find a job somewhere in the relatively near future. So how about using that laser to make a set of lovely, delicate little Christmas ornaments for when she has her first tree? And a personalized box to keep them in?

Or, get some Mother of Pearl and use the laser to make her a lovely necklace or earings? A few of our members do this with their lasers and their efforts have been delicate and lovely.

Pretty fun!! Anything you come up with will be a kick to give her Bill!!! Congrats to her and you too!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I've given homemade jewelry boxes to all the women in my family and they are much appreciated. The engraving on mine is minimal--just name and date on the bottom.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-04-2016 at 4:24 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

JDS has some nice portfolios/notebooks.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

A fountain pen is a traditional graduation gift --- turn one and laser engrave it and present it in a laser-engraved box?

A friend of mine and his kids has had my engraving in their homes since the 1980's--

He had me engrave full size replica's of all his kids's diploma's, high school and college, on black trophy brass, which he mounted to wood plaques he made.
    In the old days this meant diamond etched plates, with all signatures and state seals hand digitized by mouse, until Casmate thankfully came along!

His youngest daughter's plaque was one of the first things I ever did on my new-to-me at the time 25w ULS.

Anyway, they've all always considered them as very special mementos, they hang in their living rooms, not collecting dust in a closet...

I've yet to do an all-wood diploma, and I've always thought lasering one in relief, with signatures, seals and text standing proud would just look fantastic!

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

First thank you for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a name brand very nice jewelry box on eBay from a seller in Vermont. The plan is to laser engrave her first name, in script on the lid, leaving room for future engraving. I think she will Love it, thanks again.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10