Thread: Interesting Bit Brace

Interesting Bit Brace

I've had this kicking around for a long time and don't really remember where I got it. I think my father found it and got it for me. I looked for markings and could only find a couple of faint patent dates. One on the quill above the chuck, 1879 and one on the chuck itself of Dec 30, 1884. Did some research on patent dates, thanks to Jim Koepke, and found it to be a Peck, Stow and Wilcox (Pexto) from the late 1800's. What little else I could find indicated it may be somewhat unusual in that the ratcheting chuck has the grooves instead of knurling. I believe it to be a 12" swing if I measured right-see the 6" rule in the photo. It also has the 2 bolts in the top handle instead of 3. I did not do any cleaning yet, just a tiny bit to clarify the 2 dates. It appears to be all original but I imagine it could be a franken brace of some sort. One website that seemed very knowledgeable said the grooved grip on the chuck was only found on the earlier non-ratcheting version so I am a little confused. I sent them an email with these photos but have not heard back yet. Any further input anyone can provide would be appreciated. I don't think it's worth very much but it's an interesting piece.Bit Brace end pexto.jpgBit Brace pexto.jpg
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear I shared a link that was helpful, your welcome.

But I am guessing you may already have this one:

http://www.sydnassloot.com/brace/psw.htm

I have no information on your brace. Other than what I have read at the link above, provided by Dr. Google.

It would not be unimaginable that yours is 'between types' in manufacture. It could also be mixed parts.

I am wondering if that style of jaws would hold older bits from before a standard taper became normal for auger bits.

I don't think it's worth very much but it's an interesting piece.
    If it works well it is worth keeping.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-02-2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: quote - worth
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, that's where I got most of my information. I emailed him but nothing back yet.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!