Thread: Off topic: Thanks to the moderators

Off topic: Thanks to the moderators

I think I needn't say why.

I can see why.

Go ahead and say why for those of us that have no idea what you're referring to.

Then they'd start deleting posts from THIS thread!
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-03-2016 at 1:19 PM. Reason: too many exclamation marks

As a person who has to moderate two other forums, I think it's a great job on their part that though I visit quite frequently, I don't know the specifics of why this thank you is appropriate, and I'm kind of glad and relieved to not have to know or read or pass by the messages in question.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Go ahead and say why for those of us that have no idea what you're referring to.
    +1. Good practice on the Web is to be fully open, inclusive, and direct. I don't know that @Patrick Chase meant to be otherwise, but I do know that the conclusion expressed this way: "I think I needn't say why," is, at least for me, incorrect.

The big thing here, is there's an implicit social contract for participation in forums such as this.

When I click on the Neanderthal Haven to see the list of messages, I expect to see original content authored by the members, or maybe a few posts which are links to web pages which are relevant to this particular sub-forum.

Any other content (including meta-content such as this) is an abrogation of that gentleman's agreement and is a taking of the time / enjoyment / information I should have derived from said visit.

My apologies to anyone who comes here and reads only this post.

To make up for it, I'm going to be re-raising the question of multi-purpose tools (in a Neanderthal context), so if anyone has any favourites, please have them at the ready for that discussion.

EDIT: LINK to old discussion: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Bonsa-Tool-Kit
    Last edited by William Adams; 05-03-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add link

The issue at stake happens frequently in all sorts of group dynamics. Its unfortunate that the moderators need to step in to resolve things by deleting posts that they deem to be out of bounds because something valuable always seems to be lost in the process. Nothing new at all and no doubt it will happen again.
    Re : Storming and Norming

Agree with posts #7 and 8.

Blog Entries
    I think the moderators do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I think the moderators do a great job.

But maybe just a bit too great...

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    ...I don't know the specifics of why this thank you is appropriate, and I'm kind of glad and relieved to not have to know or read or pass by the messages in question.
    +1000. I recognize that many may feel enough attachment to the forum to want to be informed that moderators have had to take some kind off action, but I don't feel a.burning need to know that anything even happened--especially because just talking about moderation of a very recent controversy can revive the original friction.