Thread: Help with approach with wood runners, twenty drawers.

Help with approach with wood runners, twenty drawers.

I知 hoping someone here might have a better idea for placing runners on the side walls of a cabinet I知 building.
    The cabinet is 6 foot tall and has 10 drawers above and below the cabinet divider.

In the past I measured everything then ran dados on the sides (based on measurements) and the drawers and placed a poplar runner to receive the drawers. This approach requires a lot of tuning and is highly error prone.

This time I was going to lay the side panel down and clamp upper, divider & lower boards down to define the space. Based on the height, I would then find the height of all twenty drawer sides, cut them and stack them on to the side panel (horizontally) with firm but not immovable contact. I would then remove one and replace it with a template board that had a dado running all the way through. Once placed into the array again I would slide a runner through and pin nail it to boards that matched the height of the side panel 9front and back. Of course this test runner would be a couple of feet longer than necessary so it could be stabilized.

Remove the template, mark the runner, then when all are marked, cut stopped dados then glue and screw the runners.

I think this will be less error prone but I don稚 like the approach. There must be a more logical or straightforward approach to this that I知 missing or haven稚 seen before.

Thanks for any help.
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com

I appreciate your desire to use physical spacers rather than lay-out marks as a more precise and repeatable approach.

But it seems overly complicated to me. Instead of a "template board" with a dado in it that then allows a transfer mark, how about replacing that "template board" with an actual router template that you can use to cut the dados directly?

BTW-- at 6' tall, how can you see what's in the top drawer? I don't like to use drawers higher than about 55" above floor level

Blog Entries
    Dean, how are you cutting these out?

If you are using an electric router then I think Jerry's approach will work best. Make certain that your reference edges are accurate.

If you are using hand tools, then create a story stick and use it to transfer marks.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    I appreciate your desire to use physical spacers rather than lay-out marks as a more precise and repeatable approach.

But it seems overly complicated to me. Instead of a "template board" with a dado in it that then allows a transfer mark, how about replacing that "template board" with an actual router template that you can use to cut the dados directly?

BTW-- at 6' tall, how can you see what's in the top drawer? I don't like to use drawers higher than about 55" above floor level
    Thanks! I knew there was an approach that would straight forward like this.
    This is a series of cabinets with a foot stool that matches the cabinets style and primary wood.
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    If you are using hand tools, then create a story stick and use it to transfer marks.
    Sadly for me, I acquiesced and I am using the router, a piece of equipment that I am not adept with. I don't even have jigs as I became a hand tool guy long ago. With so many repetitive cuts I will use the router and I might even get a router table.

On the plus side, I will be dovetailing all the drawers by hand.
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com

Here is a post from back a few years that might give you some ideas on the router jig and set up. Not exactly for the work you are describing but certainly related - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Secure-Joints
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    It's quick and easy with hand tools if they are through and through, blind are more of an effort.

A router table is useless on this size project, so the jig is a good resort.

I use a router table for grooving sometimes (depends on the project). Carbide spiral taper down cut bits will make life much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It's quick and easy with hand tools if they are through and through, blind are more of an effort.

A router table is useless on this size project, so the jig is a good resort.

I use a router table for grooving sometimes (depends on the project). Carbide spiral taper down cut bits will make life much easier.
    Hi Brian,

If I were to go with hand tools how would you approach the blind dados? I hesitate to use the router as it feels like I lose control of the accuracy I get with hand tools. I'd rather spend more time doing it by hand over the high possibility of tweaking every drawer and possibly trying to hide mistakes.
    As you know, even with a jig the router cuts from front to back on one side, then back to front on the other side so any error is multiplied by two and you get a twisted dado groove.
    Dean
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com

Blog Entries
    Dean,

For blind dados I cut the sides with a crosscut saw, then chisel out the bulk of it. Finally finish up with a hag's tooth to level the depth.

The key to success, in my opinion, is to make sure you have accurate and fairly deep knife marks and of course, utilize accurate reference surfaces. I generally build from the back of the cabinet forward, so my back and top are my reference surfaces on a cabinet.

OR - design your router jig to ride up one side and down the other rather than just the thickness of the cutter - e.g. - cut a 1/2" wide dado with a 3/8" cutter. If your layout is accurate and your jig is clamped or screwed down tightly there will be no run out. I think I covered most of the "keep in mind" points and layout issues in my link above.

Not trying to discourage you from the handwork approach just saying that a router jig can be fast and most importantly accurate.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge