Thread: Outdoor Table - Ideas Needed

Outdoor Table - Ideas Needed

Has anyone made a really nice outdoor / patio table, with matching chairs?

The glass on my old table shattered, and the chairs I have are cheap plastic, so I'm considering taking on this challenge. I've seen a few plans, but nothing that makes me salivate. I'd want something really substantial & elegant looking, not a glorified picnic table. Maybe even with a glass top.

I have a ton of White Oak. That should hold up reasonably well, yes? - or be a constant maintenance nightmare? (unlike adirondack chairs, I wouldn't be able to bring the table indoors for the winter.)

I'd love to see some pics of finished projects, plus notes about how it's held up, and maybe how hard it was to build. - Also where to get certain parts, like a glass top (if used) or nice seat cushions, hardware to hold an umbrella, etc.

Thanks.

I made a Maloof-style round-top table and four low-back chairs for our pool Cabana. The table is Red Oak and the chairs are in Red Oak, Hickory, Ash and Walnut. I didn't have enough 8/4 stock to make them from them all from the same wood.

I made my own templates for the chairs from a picture. The table was easy, also from a picture. I can't post pics. The file won't show up in the "insert image" box.

I also made a "Wagon Wheel" coffee table recently that required a glass top. I sourced the top from a local glass company. It was 1/4" glass, 37" diameter with a 5 7/8" hole centered in it (for the wagon wheel hub). It took about four days to get it cut but it fit perfectly.
    LOML got cushions from a local home furnishings store for the chairs.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I was thumbing through a Plow & Hearth catalog that came in the mail yesterday and saw a lot of outdoor furniture other than just the usual Adirondack stuff. For outdoor projects, I wouldn't want to use anything other than woods with natural protection like cedar, redwood, or cypress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    I was thumbing through a Plow & Hearth catalog that came in the mail yesterday and saw a lot of outdoor furniture other than just the usual Adirondack stuff. For outdoor projects, I wouldn't want to use anything other than woods with natural protection like cedar, redwood, or cypress.
    Looks like they also have covers for just about everything, to give them just a little more protection from the elements...
    ~Garth

Allan, I made a garden bench out of white oak thinking it was a good choice. Structurally its held up well but it's turned black from mold even after treating with bleach and anti-mold solutions. I used an outdoor deck oil on it, and maybe that was the wrong choice, but I understand this is a common problem with WO.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Allan, I made a garden bench out of white oak thinking it was a good choice. Structurally its held up well but it's turned black from mold even after treating with bleach and anti-mold solutions. I used an outdoor deck oil on it, and maybe that was the wrong choice, but I understand this is a common problem with WO.

Thanks, Stan. That's what I was afraid of. Wrought aluminum is sounding better by the day.

I'd still love to see pics of any high-end tables out members have made.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    You could maybe check out The Woodwhisperer, he has a video series on his website showing his build.

Blog Entries
    Allan, I used padauk for an outdoor table, it turns grey like teak, ect, but has otherwise held up fine.

If if you keep it out of the sun you will be doing your table a huge favor.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.