Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My garage workshop

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    I like your shop. Where did your big red tool box with the wood top come from? I really like it. How tall is the cabinet?

Thanks Lee. Both red tool boxes are from harbor freight. Thats the 56" model with the upper box on it, and the 72" model with the wood top. The wood top was actually on a sams club work bench that I decommissioned to make room for all of this. I kept the metal legs and this top but scrapped the other pieces. I'm getting ready to attach 1/2" birch plywood to the top of the 72" box and then maple top to that. There is a 1/2" gap below it currently because there is a lip on the box and the maple top is larger than the box. Initially I had planned to remove the castors but decided to leave them so I can pull it out from the wall for cleaning if needed and as such I'm building a rolling storage drawer to go under them to hold wood scraps. As it sits with the maple top it's 46" tall. one of the worst things in my garage is the floor slope so you can see that the toolbox is not level when you compare to the wall cabinets. Regardless the work surface is level so I just try to ignore the perception of looking at the wall cabinets. The table saw is the same way. It's on a slope but it's basically level as it sits even though it doesn't look it.

One more shot.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Excellent job, I appreciate when someone takes dust collection serious from the beginning, you only have one pair of lungs. I have the same blast gates from LV and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Excellent job, I appreciate when someone takes dust collection serious from the beginning, you only have one pair of lungs. I have the same blast gates from LV and love them.
    Thanks. I'm trying to make it as clean and safe as possible since it's an attached garage.

Not much progress made but did cut the legs on the stainless table down 4.75" to serve as an outfeed surface

Totally awesome.

Thanks for the "big picture" shot. I like the layout.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Nothing major to update and a fine craftsman I am not but I started on my rolling storage drawers last night using the dado blade, 3/4" and 1/2" birch plywood, some wood glue and a few screws. Casters are 2".

Still need to add a handle but a couple of lessons learned to change on this one and incorporate into the other one are that I should have made box an inch or two shorter to put a trim board around top of plywood edges, and I should have attached the 2x4 caster mount supports the other way so that my swivel casters would have fit. I'll try to rework this one a bit but will build the smaller second one with these in mind. Once finished I planned to use these for scrap wood pieces but they will work for anything that fits I guess.

also realized my outfeed table is too low as my cut pieces drop onto it. I'm going to need to make a removable wood top that levels to my saw and has miter tracks in it. Then I can remove it as needed when I want to use the table. Not an urgent fix needed but something I'll eventually want to tackle.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-19-2016 at 7:14 PM.

Honestly I forgot I had started this thread earlier this year. Anyway, it's obviously a perfect place to document some shop changes that have resulted in questions I've been asking on the forum in various other threads. I ripped the entire shop apart a few weeks ago to relocate my table saw to the middle of the 22x20 garage to create a table saw tool island. I ripped out all of my dust collection tubing and started running it to the new locations and making some slight improvements in the routing. Long story short I've made some progress but still have quite a ways to go.

As of Friday, the island move had progressed to this with dust collection and gates in place for tools:

and as of this morning, this is the progress I've made building a small outfeed table that will be 25" and run the length of the saw. It is a 1.5" piece of 8' long butcher block. Will be cut to length when done.

I must say that this layout is working beautifully so far. I ripped the 8' plywood with ease with my door shut. I can't wait to get my miter station built next which will finally allow me to get easier access to clean the room up. With tools stacked everywhere and plywood sheets leaning on cabinets I can't get to things to clean up.

My outfeed table is made entirely of 3/4" blondewood plywood. The legs are doubled up sheets at 1.5" thick. It is trimmed out with some extra poplar I had from another project. I left an access hole in the back to get to my saw wiring/starter box, and it's dust collection connection. I need to route in my miter slots and also I plan to route in two pieces of T-Track on the far side to use for clamping purposes. The table is not mobile and is bolted to the saw fence railing so the pair are super stable. I did end up putting 1/4" marine wood strips on the bottom of the plywood legs to prevent them from absorbing moisture from the concrete. The long overhang on the one end is tentatively going to be a hinged mount location for my DW735 planer. I've been playing with the layout a lot and that location seems to give me the most workable space even though it means a little walking from the jointer location.

Lastly, my drill press will be moving to the island also and will reside between the jointer and the outfeed table right at the green dust collection tubing drop.

EDIT: Done for the weekend but did manage to get some cleaning and straightening done for part of the room before calling it quits. Next up will be the miter station build but I have to decide which route I'm going so it might be a few weeks on that.

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-25-2016 at 2:26 PM.

Very Nice Greg! The dust collection design and installation is textbook. Your space is great, coming along very nicely. How do you like your Shark Guard? I just bought one for my General 350 from Lee a couple weeks ago, and really love it. Again very nice shop! Enjoy it and be safe.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Commarato View Post
    Very Nice Greg! The dust collection design and installation is textbook. Your space is great, coming along very nicely. How do you like your Shark Guard? I just bought one for my General 350 from Lee a couple weeks ago, and really love it. Again very nice shop! Enjoy it and be safe.

Eric

Thanks Eric. The shark guard is great. Just wish my PM66 had a riving knife instead of the splitter so that it would go up with the blade. I have to remove it to cut any 2x material or it hangs on the prawls.

Finally getting my band saw put together after having it sit for a month or two.

And I've made a little progress with the shop reconfigure and new layout. I've managed to get duct work run, electric run and my outfeed table built. I've also done a lot of general clean up, which you may or may not believe from these pics. :P

Next up is building my miter saw station. I think I've decided to build an 8' rolling cart/bench style and to incorporate my two grinders onto the back ledge behind the fence. That way, the cart can be flipped around to access both sides. If my plan works, I might be able to squeeze a mortise machine and maybe a ridgid spindle sander on there too but we will see. Also, I still need to get my planer mount location worked out. Pretty sure I'm going to hinge it onto my outfeed table on the far side near the table saw. That way it folds down when not in use. More to come as I have time.

I like the way you have those tools clustered; good space savings without any loss of functionality.
    - Mike

Spent the last few months rearranging and organizing my small space. Getting close to having it the way I want and figured I would share some updates. Regards.

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-08-2017 at 8:08 PM.

Greg, I REALLY like the placement of the bandsaw. I have mine on the backside of my saw, but I think it will moved tomorrow, and it will solve some of my issues. Thank you for posting. Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Greg, I REALLY like the placement of the bandsaw. I have mine on the backside of my saw, but I think it will moved tomorrow, and it will solve some of my issues. Thank you for posting. Patrick
    Youre welcome Patrick. I can't take credit for the placement as I get the idea from others but so far I love the center island approach to my layout. Good luck on the move and share a picture or two.