Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My garage workshop

My garage workshop

Hope this is the right area to start an individual shop progress thread.

Here is my ever evolving workshop. Right now I'm converting it to a wood working space but previously it has served as hang out space and auto rebuild space. It's 22x20, insulated and heated/cooled. It is also used for general household storage.

Right now I'm in the process of installing duct work for dust collection for several wood working tools as well as future expansion as I add more tools.

Figured I would say hello and share some pictures as I go:

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-03-2016 at 11:32 AM.

More work on the dust collection. Found some 4" to sewer couplers that work better for the 4" flex hose connection.

As you can see I have 18ga braided copper wire pulled through my ducting all the way to the machine. It is split at each major coupler though so that I can more easily reconfigure if needed to later. I'll be coming back with an outside spiral wrap of the same copper wire and joining all of the various runs with wire nuts along the way where the ends meet. Doing this to kill static shocks.

Started fitting up my homemade 4" overhead blade dust collection. Blade guard is a sharkguard.

Here is how it turns out. I think it looks okay and works pretty nice. The scrap of EMT taped to the pipe is simply to give something to support the flex hose. I can't strap to the ceiling because of the garage doors travel path.

Next up I turned my attention to getting my Lee Valley self cleaning aluminum gates mounted up on each of the drops so that I can actually use this thing. The drop pictured here with the table saw drop will be for the planer. I'm going to mount it under the saw extension table to utilize otherwise dead space.

This one will have a catch box built to it to catch the discharge thrown behind my miter saw. Have to finish up and get the table saw running before I can build this.

I've got another branch to run off of the dust collector that will serve the jointer and future sander and router tables. They will be out in the middle of the room and the dust piping will drop down from the ceiling into the middle of the 3 or 4 tool group.

Slowly moving forward I started on the second branch last night. I didn't want to use any 90 degree couplers but it was the only way to make the pipe stay out of the way as much as possible. Had to use two 90's but everything else is using 45's like on the other branch. Should still be fine air flow from the v3000.

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-03-2016 at 9:08 AM.

I started piecing the dust collection pipe together a few weeks ago so the above captures to date my progress. Sorry for the long initial posts but I moved this over from another forum as I thought it was more fitting on a woodworking forum and I got many of my ideas from this site.

Will update as I progress forward and look forward to sharing and learning as I go. Regards and thanks for looking if you've made it this far.

Very nice & welcome

Greg, welcome to SMC. Very ambitious project and nicely done so far. Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    Very nice & welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Greg, welcome to SMC. Very ambitious project and nicely done so far. Patrick

Thanks guys!

Great to have you here Greg. I will be saving your ductwork progress pictures. Love the shop you show there.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 05-03-2016 at 2:07 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Welcome aboard.
    You should have no problems with air flow, my shop is almost the exact same size and I have the 3hp Grizzly cyclone. I can have 2 gates open and still have no noticeable drop except for the collection box behind the miter saw and its still functional. What you have set up looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    Very nice & welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Great to have you here Greg. I will be saving your ductwork progress pictures. Love the shop you show there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Welcome aboard.
    You should have no problems with air flow, my shop is almost the exact same size and I have the 3hp Grizzly cyclone. I can have 2 gates open and still have no noticeable drop except for the collection box behind the miter saw and its still functional. What you have set up looks great.

Thanks guys. Good to hear about the similar 3hp grizzly. I appreciate the feedback.

did you make or buy the blast gates? either way i like them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    did you make or buy the blast gates? either way i like them.

Bought them here
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,42401,62597

the 6" version fits snugly into the 6" sewer pipe. I simply used a block and hammer to tap it down snug and then pinned it with the screws but regardless they are a nice snug fit.

Looking good. Where you put screws and nuts should consider using some nylock nuts so the nuts do not viberate loose.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henry View Post
    Looking good. Where you put screws and nuts should consider using some nylock nuts so the nuts do not viberate loose.
    Dan
    Thanks. I thought about that but when I come back with silicone on the joints I'll be putting a glob on each of the screws so that will keep the nuts on there.

Excellent job nice to see that 6" duct!!

I have the exact same miter saw right now its just hooked to my shop vac.
    I'll be interested to see how you figure out the collection on that.

Wow, very nice job. I have that same era PM 66, doesn't look anywhere near as nice as yours. Great execution on the ducting.

David