Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My garage workshop

Very nice. One question why are you using sanitary (green) pipe instead of regular white pvc, is it less expensive, I have never compared prices.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Very nice. One question why are you using sanitary (green) pipe instead of regular white pvc, is it less expensive, I have never compared prices.
    Thanks. The simplest reason is because it is the only 6" sewer pipe that my local lowes carries. I think it has thicker walls than the white sewer pipe and that might be why I need to hammer the pipe onto the Lee valley gates. Not sure but regardless it's just what I could get

Awesome shop, and thanks for all the pics.

Bite the bullet and cut up your tablesaw base so you can run 6" all the way into it.
    I owned my $2500 ts for about 3wks before I hacked up the base to fit 6" pipe, makes a huge difference.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Excellent job nice to see that 6" duct!!

I have the exact same miter saw right now its just hooked to my shop vac.
    I'll be interested to see how you figure out the collection on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Linnabary View Post
    Wow, very nice job. I have that same era PM 66, doesn't look anywhere near as nice as yours. Great execution on the ducting.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Awesome shop, and thanks for all the pics.

Bite the bullet and cut up your tablesaw base so you can run 6" all the way into it.
    I owned my $2500 ts for about 3wks before I hacked up the base to fit 6" pipe, makes a huge difference.

thanks for the kind words guys. I'll certainly keep you posted on the miter saw collection as I will need to tackle that soon enough. Last night I didn't accomplish much but I did get the large 8' table moved to a new spot so that I can continue my ceiling duct run over to where my jointer will sit. It will also leave space to grow with a few more tools down the road.

Regarding the table saw I'm thinking about the 6" side mounted dust duct for sure. Will take my time to make sure everything is just right though before making the change. Hate to hack a hole in it and then decide I need to change everything all around again.

Making sure you have the right placement before hacking holes is a good idea

I enlarged my existing 4" hole and didn't need to cut a new one. There was that "no turning back" moment where I doubted my need for 6", but it was the right choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ran out of 6" pipe so this is all the progress for tonight. Will get another piece tomorrow or this weekend to finish this up.

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-05-2016 at 7:32 PM.

Nice looking shop you've got there. I am left with a question though: How do you plan on doing tenons or other such on the tablesaw where you're running the workpiece vertically against the fence? It doesn't look like you've got any method of swinging/moving the DC hose out of the way.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

8. I take it you don't like dust!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Nice looking shop you've got there. I am left with a question though: How do you plan on doing tenons or other such on the tablesaw where you're running the workpiece vertically against the fence? It doesn't look like you've got any method of swinging/moving the DC hose out of the way.
    I did think about that. Right now I'm planning to simply pull the flex hose back and tie wrap it to the pipe as needed. I will probably end up shortening the green pipe and adding a simple pivot point or hinge to the EMT pipe and increasing the flex hose length but I'm not sure yet until I start using it and then I'll modify based on what works best to provide needed clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan L D Cook View Post
    I take it you don't like dust!

one thing I've learned is that there is so much suction that I can't shut down to just a single 4" port or I get a horrible whistle. I can leave the full table saw connection open and still get extreme suction at the jointer at the other branch end. Has me almost thinking of removing the table saw gate and using it elsewhere but I will wait to make sure. Once I add some flex hose the jointer connection is ready to go. Next up is the planer connection and wrapping the outside of the pipe with wire and getting the grounding and silicone joint sealing done. Regardless it is usable right now as long as you don't mind the static shocks. Little more ground wire and that will go away though. LOL

Few more pics:

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-06-2016 at 2:31 PM.

Looks great! And super nice PM66 by the way!!!! I used the same pipe for my DC and it was really bad about shocking me right at first but now it doesn't do much at all.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Fantastic progress!
    If you get a chance, roll up the garage door and take a picture looking in. (if your taking photo requests)
    Would love to see how everything fits.
    I work out of a double garage and keeping full sizes tools make for a tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Looks great! And super nice PM66 by the way!!!! I used the same pipe for my DC and it was really bad about shocking me right at first but now it doesn't do much at all.
    thanks. I think the wire will stop it once I get it all connected up. Should be working on that tonight or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Fantastic progress!
    If you get a chance, roll up the garage door and take a picture looking in. (if your taking photo requests)
    Would love to see how everything fits.
    I work out of a double garage and keeping full sizes tools make for a tight fit.
    will do. Probably will do it tomorrow so that I can get everything a little more straightened up first but I promise to do it.

Flex hose on jointer connected.

Started wrapping the outside copper wire

The v3000 came with a short wire strap and two self tapping screws to connect the drum lid to the cone. After installing I put a blob of silicone on each to seal the hole back up.

The instructions didn't call for it but I went ahead and ran my copper wire from the drum lid strap on up to the wire strap that connects the motor to the filter housing.

I connected the wire to the jointer and table saw base cabinets

Once the silicone dries I should be able to use the table saw and jointer at this point. I probably went a little overboard on the static ground wiring but trying to do it right the first time. I'll still need to come back and put silicone on the individual pipe joints and screws but I'll do that later.

Tomorrow im going to start on the first of a few shop projects that include my planer stand to fit under the saw table, my table saw extension table insert, two scrap rolling storage drawers to fit under the tool boxes, a rolling drill press mobile base, etc.

But now im tired and done for the night.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-07-2016 at 9:23 PM.

Got started on my saw table insert today. Used 1x4 oak for the frame with 1/2" birch plywood top. Kreg jig pocket screws on all but did glue the ply to the frame as well.

Got it mounted into place

Not the cleanest edge but okay given what it is and it was my first time edging formica. Got a deal on this piece due to a cracked corner.

And mounted the legs and now it's ready to go

And, for the question a few posts up, here are shots from the big door. It's messy but you can get the idea of how it will be laid out once I finish getting everything settled with the changes I've been working on.

Only 1/2 of garage will be wood working setup. The saw is towards the big door and I plan to put planer under it. The miter, drill and future bandsaw will run down the side wall. Jointer, sander and router will ride in the middle. Stainless table behind saw will get cut down lower to serve as outfeed table in addition to my welding work top for what little welding I do.

The large 8' wood table was my grandfathers and was in our cabin. It was built for him back in the 1950's. I use it for hang out and it will also serve as a project table once I get a roll of waxed kraft paper to pull over it as needed. Right now it's serving as catch all while I've been transforming and moving everything around. I plan to hang the bikes over the table also once I get it placed and am certain it's where it will be staying.

Thanks for looking!

I like your shop. Where did your big red tool box with the wood top come from? I really like it. How tall is the cabinet?
    Last edited by lee cox; 05-08-2016 at 4:17 PM.