Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Marking Gauge Jones

Thanks William but it's not my design in general. I added the taper for dovetails, the pencil notch and originally it was made for a pin, but like many I wanted a blade out where I could see it. Send me a PM with your email and I'll see if I can find the drawings that were shared with me, sans my modifications.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    Here is one I made a number of years ago for a tool swap on another forum. The blades are high speed steel from a used Tersa planer blade. The back of the beam is tapered for dovetail marking and it has a notch for guiding a pencil if you don't want to use the cutter. Jim
    That's a really nice tool Jim. Is the knob the only thing that holds the arm square to the fence, or is there a pin or something I can't see that also helps keep it square? (I ask because I'm making a similar tool out of wood.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Here is another view. The beam rides in a slot in the body.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    Here is another view. The beam rides in a slot in the body.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. I didn't snap to that. I appreciate the idea!
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You're welcome Fred. I was pleased when the recipient of the gauge gave the locking knob an upgrade.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

That's a nice touch!

Dang it guys! Now I am going to have to build three of these for my son's and me! (My daughter will inherit the third if she wants it.) And some panel gages too.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.