Thread: Minimax FS30 jointer tables removal

Minimax FS30 jointer tables removal

Hello
    I am buying an used Minimax FS30. I am thinking in removing both jointer tables for transportation?
    Does anyone know how difficult is to do this? or have any instructions?
    Is removal of the tables a good idea? I am not sure how difficult would be to make them coplanar after re-installation.
    I only have some manuals I found online but not much information there.
    Thank you for your help

They're shimmed from the factory. Tape the shims in place while transporting, install where they came from and you're good.

Thank you Mike,
    do you know how difficult is to remove the tables? I forgot to look at this when I went to check the machine.
    Thank you

Easy.
    Two Allen Bolts on each side. 6mm if I remember.

Great! Thank you Sir

I would not remove the tables for transport unless absolutely necessary. There's no reason to. I bought a used FS35 a few months ago and moved it several hundred miles on a U-Haul trailer w/o any problems. Slid it onto the trailer, strapped it down and did the reverse to get it off. I only had to take the tables off to get it down into my basement shop. Those things are heavy; I used a chain fall to lift them off. Beyond that, the bolts that hold the tables to the frame were set with some kind of loctite material that I wasn't sure I could break loose before the bolts snapped. Fortunately, the bolts didn't break, but there were several tense moments getting all of them out and I wouldn't do it just to move the machine.

John

Hi John,
    I have the same problem.
    This machine has to go to my basement and the stairway is narrow. This is the main reason to remove the tables.
    Do you remember how many bolts per side and what size?
    Thank you

I have the FS350 and have removed them a few times, very easy to do. Adjustment afterwards is also very easy.

I would also caution against removing the tables unless absolutely necessary. I just moved a Hammer A3-31 (12" J/P) into my basement without removing the tables. I knew the unit would be tuned from the factory, so the last thing I wanted to do was mess with those adjustments.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

There are only two bolts holding each table to the frame. Maybe a 6 mm allen head. There were no shims under any of the bolts on my machine. I absolutely had to take the tables off to get it down into my basement, but the loctite compound they used on those bolts was so strong I was afraid the bolts would break when I removed them. Fortunately, they didn't and all was well, but I was very nervous removing them. I also removed the cutterhead, planer table and column, and motor. The frame still weighed what I'm guessing was over 300 lbs and it was quite a challenge to get it down into my shop.

If there's no other way then I guess you'll have to remove the tables. If so, use wrenches that fit the bolt head recesses perfectly, and lean on them as you turn them to avoid stripping the heads. You may want to contact MiniMax and ask their advise on how best to remove those bolts. Maybe there is some type of penetrating fluid that would make them easier to remove.

Good luck. I love my machine and think you will too.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    They're shimmed from the factory. Tape the shims in place while transporting, install where they came from and you're good.
    What Mike said or what I have had guys do is place each set of shims in a ziploc baggie and label them according to position. In my experience, you will probably have still do some tweaking once the tables go back on but not major tweaking.

I know that some owners advocate not removing the jointer tables for transport down stairs or whatever but in my opinion, I strongly, and I mean STRONGLY suggest that you take off the tables. I realize that guys have gotten these types of machines down stairs in the past, with the tables on and no issues but as a person who ships jointer/planers for a living, I can tell you that when it goes wrong, it REALLY goes wrong. And of course, that always comes out of the owner's pocket to fix. In my experience, a jointer/planer with the tables on, regardless of brand or size, is one of the most sketchy machines to transport on uneven or unlevel surfaces. Do what you feel best but please be advised. Good luck with everything.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep