Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make an adhesive tape measure that is accurate?

Does anyone make an adhesive tape measure that is accurate?

I just finished building a new fence for my miter saw with a stop block and adhesive applied tape measure. Thinking Starrett would be good quality, I bought both an L-R and R-L tape measure for the fence. Upon checking my cuts with a Woodpecker rule, I find that both tapes are inaccurate and inconsistent between increments...as much as 1/32".

Does anyone make an accurate adhesive tape? Every review I read on the Web suggests that there is universal complaint about these tapes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, bob

1/32" is pretty close to me. For duplicate parts, I use a stop block. Close only counts in horse shoes, hand gernnades and nuclear war

Did you compare the tape with the rule as well?
    Chuck Taylor

I don't think so. Tapes are approximations.
    If you can't use a precision rule then use the same (& only one tape) to make your comparisons.
    It turns out, even Starrett's rules are conditional! Is it lines or spaces?
    If your eyes are good enough use the centerline of any line.
    The spaces between the lines are a bit arbitrary; they do not equal the increment indicated. (I.e. the space between 1/32nds does not equal a 1/32".) And this varies with line width, increment, rule quality, whether decimal or fractional.
    Bottom line: Use a stop and compare your sticks to one another, not the rule. Woodworking metrology is unusual & its never taught.

The little yellow tape at Harbor Freight for $1.00 is flat, double face tape would hold it. Has nice thin markings and comparing it to a 24 inch Starrett square "blade" I saw no discrepancies.

I plan to use the stop and understand that I can get repeatable cuts once I set it, but had hoped that if I set the stop on say, 24-1/4", that the resulting board is 24-1/4", not 24-7/32" or 24 -9/32". 1/32" is too much error for my work and I would like to be able to speed my work along by setting the stop and being certain the cut matches the reading on the tape. It seems to me its useless to have a tape on a miter fence if the tape itself is not accurate...I really don't want to have to do a test board every time I use the saw. All my other hand held tape measures, 12', 16', 25' (Dewalt, Stanley, etc) are all accurate and give consistent readings....I would use one of these tapes, however I wouldn't be able to get the tape flat and also they only read L-R.

Personally, I don't think the rule needs to be THAT accurate anyway because even a blade swap can throw it off that much. Especially if changing from standard to thin kerf, but even all "standard" kerf blades are not standard and vary several thousandths.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    Personally, I don't think the rule needs to be THAT accurate anyway because even a blade swap can throw it off that much. Especially if changing from standard to thin kerf, but even all "standard" kerf blades are not standard and vary several thousandths.

Wayne
    This is exactly what I was about to say. The blade and path of a miter saw will always vary slightly with changes. Better to have a good point of reference and do each setup manually (and correctly) the first time than drive yourself crazy trying to rely on a tape that will never be 100% accurate anyways. At least not if 1/32 of an inch matters to you that much.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

You are looking for "digital readout" accuracy from a tape. Too many things play into it, the width of the hairline pointer, the parallax between the pointer and the tape, your eyeballs, lighting in the shop.... and so on. I use the Starrett stick down tapes on the fences we build and they are always spot on. It's not uncommon for me to get within less than .015" of actual size I shot for, once I measure with digital calipers.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

I used ones from Rockler on my RAS fences and have found them to be as good as my handheld tapes. Moreover, they are the same on both the L-R and R-L tapes. FastCap and Kreg tapes might be a good bet, too.

John

Is it a plastic type tave vs metal and did you stretch it a little bit while you were applying. I forget the brand I have on my table saw but it matches perfect with my tape measure. It might have been Kreg and I know it has a metal backing.

Ok,maybe I can come up with something MORE accurate than Starrette machinist rules for only 50 cents.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I just finished building a new fence for my miter saw with a stop block and adhesive applied tape measure. Thinking Starrett would be good quality, I bought both an L-R and R-L tape measure for the fence. Upon checking my cuts with a Woodpecker rule, I find that both tapes are inaccurate and inconsistent between increments...as much as 1/32".

Does anyone make an accurate adhesive tape? Every review I read on the Web suggests that there is universal complaint about these tapes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, bob
    I share your pain. I have gone through quite a few measuring items to get the ones that won a place in the shop to be accurate and to match. Don't check your cuts, check the tape. The tape may be correct, your cuts may not. The Starrett tapes I have used are metal. I assume yours are too. These are not so prone to distortion during application. I would check the tape before applying it to be sure it is accurate at least out to the distance you require.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm surprised to hear that the graduations on the Starrett adhesives tapes are so far off to your liking. You did say you were measuring your cuts.... not the Starrett tape. Is your equipment in order? Rigid enough (heavy duty) for repeatability?

There is an awful lot of proper procedure required that we have not been able to verify before we can lay the blame at any tapes feet. Did you undercut your stop block to allow for saw dust, is there 1/32" slop in your set up etc.? I don't think that your tape is the problem. I don't say this to be mean, I say this because I have consistently found that I am the variable in variation in my shop.