Thread: Floor sweep

Floor sweep

Trying to finally get my cvmax setup later in the month. Going 8" pvc for the main duct and was thinking of plumbing in a floor sweep as well. Any thoughts on trying to find/build an 8" one vs a 6" one? If I go 8" anyone know of a premade floor sweep along with a premade 8" blast gate that will fit 8" SDR pvc? Thanks

Chris, I don't know about either of your questions but when I installed my CV1800 (which I love!), I just ran 6" SDR pvc straight down to the floor. I placed a blast gate at about waist height. Here's how I made my floor sweep, where the pipe sits on the floor, I cut an opening about 1" high and a little more than 1/3 of the circumference. To use it, open the blast gate & sweep towards the opening. I have 5 of these & they work well. Random ROG

Roger sound simple but effective. Thanks for the idea. I just need to now find an 8" blast gate. Thanks.

No, you won't need to run 8" of duct to a floor sweep, just use a 6" or 4" take off to one of your tools, a vertical one is best. Add a wye midway in the vertical pipe to take off to the tool with a blastgate, then continue the wye to the floor with another blastgate. Build your floor sweep from shop scraps, the vertical pipe can set directly on it.

David

Blog Entries
    I got rid of the floor sweep. Its usefulness will vary with how much stuff hits the floor in a given time. Also, sacrificing the floor and wall space to keep it clear for use became less important than the items that occupy that space now ;-)

For my one-man operation, a dust pan beat adding extra material to the cyclone barrel. It may just be habit now as I don't want curlies hitting my little dust deputy since the light and fluffy things don't separate well.

This has morphed into me using the old B&D method every so often anyway so the floor sweep was just taking up valuable wall/floor space. The cyclone will certainly suck up almost anything that gets near an opening but, I use it primarily to collect at the origination point.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-04-2016 at 8:17 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A floor sweep is easy to make out of scraps. Mine is made with a 6" fitting. My DC is portable, so I just hook it to the flexible hose when I need to clean up. No problem with a fixed spot. The floor sweep is the last photo in the linked post.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...pipe&highlight=

I too got rid of a floor sweep when I built my new shop. However since I had about 20' of left over flex hose after converting from 4" to 6" I got one of the Rockler dust right systems http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-floor-sweep-system and it works great. I have enough reach for the lathes and saws.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Are you settled on PVC? I used snap-lock and bought the 6" sweep from Oneida. It works very well. I have a few pictures and more details here: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2016/04...machine-drops/
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

I have three floor sweeps in my shop. One was a pre-built one from Oneida. The other two, I constructed from "register boots" from the home center.

As to your gates, you'll likely have to build them for your PVC duct choice. They will work better, anyway, as most commercial gates have a small "reducing" effect due to their "go inside the duct" nature, rather than equal to or over the duct sizing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    Are you settled on PVC? I used snap-lock and bought the 6" sweep from Oneida. It works very well. I have a few pictures and more details here: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2016/04...machine-drops/
    Oh yea, I went with all metal ducting too and while Im sure its a lot better the OP might not want to spend that much as it can be a whole lot more expensive depending on what one can find PVC for.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!