Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Engraver For Small Products

Desktop Engraver For Small Products

Hey guys,

I have a custom product made from exotic hard woods.
    My product is only 1" X 3" So I really only need a small desktop engraver/etcher for this.

Also I don't need to do any cutting. I just need something powerful enough to engrave down 1mm or 2 on hard wood.
    The simple logo I wanna create is about 15x10mm.

What do you guys suggest I invest in?
    Any feedback or suggestions welcome!

Doing graphics and/or text?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Is this a one-shot deal where everything gets the same logo, like a artist's signature on the back?
    If so, I'd probably just go with a custom branding iron or stamp.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Are they all saying the same thing? If so you may check into a "branding iron" instead.

You may check with the wood working forum here as some there make "Signature tokens" to put on their work.

Lasers can be a costly investment, even on the lower end. Plus all the support, computer, software etc for small pieces.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I already thought of that and bought a custom branding Iron.. Doesn't show up on my exotic dark wood pieces. Waste of 350$ =(

I will definitely need an engraver for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Pinho View Post
    I already thought of that and bought a custom branding Iron.. Doesn't show up on my exotic dark wood pieces. Waste of 350$ =(
    You may have the same problem with the engraving unless you're willing to do some sort of color-fill afterward.

Does the logo have to be integral to the piece? Something I've done with stuff too big to fit in the laser is engrave signatures/logos on pieces of veneer and glue them on. (Or if I'm feeling really lazy, I'll use veneer with pressure-sensitive adhesive already applied, AKA "peel-and-stick".) Just have a local engraver run off whole sheets of them and use them as needed.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

How do you know a laser / engraver would make a mark you could see on the dark wood? Did you try paint filling or gold paint filling the one you have?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Pinho View Post
    I will definitely need an engraver for this.
    You're looking at several thousand dollars minimum for a laser. If that's really all you're going to use it for, I just can't see it being cost-effective.

A very small CNC router, something using a Dremel or similar as the spindle, would probably work. But it's also either expensive to buy or time-consuming to build.

I'm going to fill it in with acrylic paint after.

Several Thousand? Even if I just want something small? Seems like alo.. I was willing to pay around $1000 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Doing graphics and/or text?
    You forgot glowforge!!!

Sorry I would not resist!
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

What does your logo look like. What kind of detail? And how many. I made stencil / decal on my vinyl machine. The customer stuck them on the wood and sprayed. Let dry and then removed the decal.

Vinyl machines start at only $200.00
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

My logo is attached up top. Let me know that may be a way to go.